BENIN - Floods
OCHA Geneva Situation Report No.1
30 September 1998
1. Two Northern Departments, Borgou and Atacora, are suffering from severe flood conditions since August. WFP-Benin, coordinating agency for humanitarian operations, reports that according to yet unconfirmed information thousands of houses have been destroyed leaving more than 20,000 people homeless. Inundation of cultivated land will significantly reduce the harvest. Official estimates put the losses at 20,000 tons of cereal.
2. On 23 September the Ministry of Foreign Affairs called a meeting with UN agencies and donors to present a preliminary overview of the situation as well as an appeal for emergency assistance. According to the Government urgent needs are for food, blankets, tents, medication against malaria and vaccines for typhoid, meningitis.
3. A multi donor mission has gone to the affected areas. A detailed account on the flood impact and requirements for international assistance is expected to be forwarded to OCHA within the next days and will be communicated in a subsequent report.
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-91720 10
Desk Officers: Mr. Klaus Wiersing, OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel: +41-22-917 22 70
Press to contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva, direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.