Bangladesh + 1 more

WFP Bangladesh: Rohingya Refugee Response | Situation Report #41 (August 2020)

Format
Situation Report
Source
Posted
Originally published

Attachments

In Numbers || August 2020

860,000 refugees in the camps* (51% children, 45% adult, 4% older persons and 1% persons with disability)

Over 500,000 people in the host community continued to receive assistance through a COVID-19 special support programme.

Highlights

• On 19 August, WFP reached a data sharing agreement with UNHCR, the first of its kind globally, for biometric data transfer. The agreement will enable the two agencies to align beneficiary data and improve the provision of lifesaving services.

• 88 percent of 860,000 refugees received WFP assistance through e-vouchers, offering 13 food items through 17 outlets. The other 12 percent of refugees received in-kind assistance at five distribution sites. WFP aims to transfer all beneficiaries to the e-voucher modality by the end of 2020.

• WFP launched Building Blocks at two additional evoucher outlets, bringing the number of outlets using blockchain-based technology to eight out of 17.

• 18,000 seedlings were planted at 17 sites in the camps as WFP kicked off the tree plantation for 2020.

• Communications with Communities (CwC) volunteers were deployed to food distribution points to disseminate COVID-19 awareness messages using posters/pictures and directly communicating with the refugees.

Situation Updates

• The Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission restored 3G/4G mobile services at Rohingya camps, however, the mobile network coverage does not meet operational needs. The Emergency Telecommunications Sector (ETS) will continue to provide connectivity services in Cox’s Bazar to support the humanitarian community and WFP’s operations.

• Heavy monsoon rain in Cox’s Bazar damaged shelters and other infrastructure in the camps.
WFP provided one-off general food assistance to 45 households, high energy biscuits to 343 households, and hot meals to 1,943 affected refugees.