Bangladesh/India - Cyclone
OCHA Situation Report No. 2
29 October 1999
This report does not represent an official cyclone warning or alert for any country.
1. The media reports that the powerful cyclone which was approaching the Bangladesh - Indian coast has hit India's eastern coast today, the same area still recovering from a storm that hit on 17 October 1999. The cyclone ripped into the port town of Paradwip at 10.30 a.m. local time and battered its way to Bhubaneshwar, the state capital of Orissa. Winds reaching a speed of 260 kph uprooted trees and snapped telecommunication and power lines.
2. Two people were killed and at least 200 fishermen were reported missing. In the Midnapore district in the state of West Bengal at least 30 people were injured when their homes collapsed. Substantial damage was caused to housing. With telephone lines knocked out, no accurate information of the devastation caused by the storm along the coastline of the states of Orissa and West Bengal is currently available.
3. As a preparatory measure, some 20,000 people have been evacuated from coastal villages. The government canceled trains traveling to and from the area. Officials in the coastal districts stocked up food supplies. The state Government has put the army on stand-by. A meeting of the cabinet under the leadership of the Prime Minister is scheduled for Saturday, 30 October 1999.
4. In Bangladesh, authorities have reportedly scaled down their storm warning levels.
5. OCHA is in close contact with UNDP New Delhi which is monitoring the situation in consultation with the Government and will revert with further information as soon as it becomes available.
6. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers: Ms. S. Metzner-Strack/Mr. R. Mueller/Ms. M. Kondo, OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel. +41-22-917-21 44 / 31 31 / 19 97
Press contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva, direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.