Period covered by this Final Report: January to February, 2007.
History of this Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF)-funded operation:
- CHF 150,000 allocated from the Federation's DREF in January 2007, to respond to the needs of this operation targeting 30,000 beneficiaries in 64 districts of Bangladesh.
- This operation was implemented for one month, and completed by February 2007. In line with Federation reporting standards, the DREF Bulletin final report (narrative and financial) is due 90 days after the end of the operation (by mid-May, 2007).
Background and summary
Throughout the months of January and February 2007, Bangladesh reeled under a cold wave that caused suffering for approximately 1.9 million vulnerable people across the country (source: ministry of food and disaster management, government of Bangladesh). Vulnerable people were heavily impacted by the cold spells, especially in the far northern districts. The death toll across the country reached 141 (as of 24th January) and cold-related diseases saw a sharp rise. Children, women and the elderly were the worst affected, along with homeless people in towns and cities.
The Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) and the Federation Bangladesh delegation immediately responded to the cold wave situation by distributing 8,700 blankets from the national headquarters warehouse emergency stock. Subsequently, based on a growing need, 30,000 blankets were procured, through the allocated DREF funds, for further distribution and replenishment of the buffer stock. By the end of the operation, a total of 25,050 blankets had been dispatched to the units, of which 24,066 were reported as distributed, and a further 13,650 were kept as buffer stock.
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity. information
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
In Bangladesh: Bangladesh Red Crescent Society, Mr. M. Shafiul Alam (Secretary General), email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +88.02.935.2226
In Bangladesh: Bangladesh Delegation, Mr. Selvaratnam Sinnadurai (Head of Delegation), email: email@example.com, phone: +88.02.933.7314, fax: +88.02.934.1631
In India: South Asia Regional Delegation, Ms. Anitta Underlin (Head of Regional Delegation), email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +91.11.2411.1125, fax: +91.11.2411.1128
In Geneva: Asia Pacific Department, Mr. Hiroto Oyama (Regional Officer), email:email@example.com, phone: +41.22.730.4273, fax: +41.22.733.0395
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable.
For longer-term programmes in this or other countries or regions, please refer to the Federation's Annual Appeal. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for national society profiles, please also access the Federation's website at http://www.ifrc.org