1. On 7 July, following a second wave of freak weather, 32 districts throughout Azerbaijan were affected by torrential rains and flooding waters. 9 persons were reported killed by mud flows and 2 others by storm lightning.
2. According to governmental reports, 200 buildings, 7,000 private houses, 9 hospitals, 51 schools, 40 bridges and many stretches of road were damaged following three days of exceptional rains. The amount of rain which fell on Azerbaijan from 4 to 6 July exceeded seven times the monthly average.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE
3. The Government of Azerbaijan has confirmed the need for international assistance, as formally appealed for on 27 June 1997 through the United Nations.
4. DHA Field Office in Azerbaijan is working closely with the State Emergency Committee to finalize damage assessment/relief requirements report for dissemination to international community. A number of meetings have already taken place in Baku between DHA and UNHCR, GTZ, OXFAM, MSF (H), ADRA, SCF (USA) and WVI to review the situation and coordinate relief activities.
5. DHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions, to be used during the immediate relief phase, in coordination/consultation with relevant organizations of the United Nations system. DHA provides donors with written
confirmation and pertinent details concerning the utilization
of the funds contributed.
6. Donors wishing to channel their contributions through DHA should transfer funds to DHA account no. CO.590.160.1 at the Swiss Bank Corporation, Case Postale 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference: Azerbaijan - Floods
7. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA-Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions/pledges/contributions and their corresponding value by item.
Telephone number: +41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917-2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Sergio Piazzi, direct tel: +41-22-917-3518
Contact for media: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct tel: +41-22-917-2856
Telex: 41 42 42 dha ch