Azerbaijan - Earthquake OCHA Situation Report No. 2
AZERBAIJAN - EARTHQUAKE
OCHA Situation Report No. 2
21 June 1999
1. An earthquake measuring 3.5 to 4 on the Richter scale struck the central regions of Azerbaijan at 2:30 p.m. (09:30 GMT) on Friday, 04 June 1999. The epicenter was between the three small towns of Agdash (240 km west of the capital Baku), Geokchai and Ujar.
2. According to the information received from the United Nations Disaster Management Team, in Agdash district, which was the epicenter of the earthquake, about 150 houses were totally destroyed, 800 houses were damaged, five educational institutions and four hospitals received some damages. The damage to this district alone is estimated at about $US 2.5 million.
3. In addition, there were damages in the neighbouring districts of Zardab, Ujar and Kurdemir and two nearby cities of Yevlakh and Sheki. There are over 100 severely damaged houses which are dangerous to live in and 2000 others that received some damages. In addition, over 80 public buildings (schools, hospitals and kindergartens) also received some damages. There were no reports of fatalities.
4. The Government of Azerbaijan has assessed the damages caused by the earthquake on 4 June 1999 to the central regions of Azerbaijan and have estimated the total damage at $US 5 million.
5. The Government of Azerbaijan has allocated $US 125,000 out of the Emergency Fund of the State Budget to start rehabilitation and construction works, but because of budgetary constraints it is not enough to cover large-scale rehabilitation within a short time.
6. The Government of Azerbaijan has requested the United Nations to launch an appeal to assist in the emergency reconstruction and rehabilitation works. Total amount needed is estimated at $US 4,875,000. Mostly needed are construction materials and financial assistance.
7. UN Disaster Management Team in Azerbaijan supports the Government's request and recommends that assistance to the Republic of Azerbaijan be rendered in the form of financial cash support for the procurement of the relevant construction materials.
8. The focal point in the Government of Azerbaijan for all foreign and local donations and assistance in response to the disaster:
Mr. Abid Sharifov
Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the State Emergency Commission.
Telephone: +994/12/924161, 925613
Facsimile: +994/12/924161, 989786
9. Contributions from the Governments and donor organizations wishing to render assistance can be deposited to:
Tebiyi Felaket at the International Bank
of Azerbaijan Republic
SEN 310862 USD 3038-01.
10. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of pledges and/or contributions and their corresponding values by item.
11. This is the last OCHA situation report for this disaster unless there are unforeseen developments.
Telephone Number: +41-22-917-1234
In case of Emergency only: +41-22-917-2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Dmitri Balabanov, Direct
Tel. + 41-22-917-2827
Contact person for media: Ms. Elena Ponomareva, direct tel:+41-22-917 2336
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH