75% schools operating under capacity
90% schools built during the Soviet era and need seismic retrofitting
377 of 1,437+ schools currently identified for seismic retrofitting investment as part of the governments School Safety Improvement Programme (SSIP)
• Redefine the current School Safety Improvement Program to increase the impact and cover all schools by 2030.
• Conduct an assessment to determine how to reduce overcapacity and avoid retrofitting excess school buildings.
• Complete and combine multiple hazard mapping with school locations to identify exposure, and develop site planning guidelines as part of community masterplans.
• Develop rapid visual assessment methodology to capture key building and site characteristics to identify vulnerability.
• Develop guidelines and training for retrofitting existing schools.