Hurricane Lenny- Caribbean Region
OCHA Situation Report No.3
17 November 1999
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country.
1. The National Hurricane Centre in Miami reports that hurricane Lenny has become a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir/Simpson Scale (5 being the highest rating).
2. A hurricane warning remains in effect for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands. A hurricane warning is also in effect for Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Montserrat, Saba, St Barthelemy, St Eustatius, St Kitts and Nevis, St Maarten/ St Martin.
3. At 15.00 GMT, the centre of Hurricane Lenny was located near latitude 17.1 North and longitude 65.1 West (roughly 45 miles/75 km south/southwest of St. Croix).
4. Maximum sustained winds are near 135 mph/215 kmh with higher gusts.
5. The Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency (CDERA) reports that the Regional Response Mechanism is on stand-by. The United Nations Resident Coordinator/Barbados is today holding a second preparatory meeting with the Eastern Caribbean Donors Group.
6. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies is available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officers: Mr. Erik Haegglund, direct tel: + 41-22-917-3299
Contact person for the media: Ms. Elena
Ponomareva, direct tel:+41-22-917-2336
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.