Ref. OCHA/GVA - 2000/0149
Tropical Storm Debby
OCHA Geneva Situation Report No.1
21 August 2000
(Forecast by National Hurricane Center and Graphic by Naval Atlantic Meteorology and Oceanography Center )
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country
1. The National Weather Centre in Miami reports that at 1200 GMT, 21 August 2000 (2112 Zulu time), the center of tropical storm "Debby" was located near latitude 15.7 north and longitude 55.3 west, or about 400 miles (645 km) east of the Leeward Islands. "Debby" is moving toward the west-northwest near 20 mph (30 km/hr), and this motion is expected to continue today. Maximum sustained winds are estimated near 50 mph. (85 km/hr) with higher gusts.
2. A hurricane watch is in effect for Saba, St. Eustatius and St.Maarten, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A tropical storm watch is in effect for the remainder of the Leeward Islands north of Dominica and the British Virgin Islands.
3. At the beginning of the hurricane season (June 2000), the Eastern Caribbean Donor Group for Disaster Management (Canada, European Union, United Kingdom, United States; FAO, UNDP, UNICEF, WHO/PAHO; Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency/CDERA, Regional Security System/RSS and OAS; Caribbean Development Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, World Bank; OXFAM) was brought together by the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Barbados to review and update their Operations Order providing guidelines for activities during the emergency phase.
4. For further information and updates on tropical storm "Debby", please refer to the National Hurricane Center (USA) at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
5. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
Desk Officers: OCHA Disaster Response Branch: Mr. E. Haegglund/Mr. C. Monteiro-Pereira/Ms. M. Kondo - Direct Tel. +41-22-917 32 99/1383/1997
Press Contact: Mr. D. Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.