OCHA/GVA - 2000/0150
OCHA Geneva Situation Report No.2
22 August 2000
(Forecast by National Hurricane Center and Graphic by Naval Atlantic Meteorology and Oceanography Center )
NOTE: 2212Z means the same as 22 August at 1200 GMT
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country
1. The National Weather Centre in Miami reports that on 22 August 2000, at 0600 GMT, (2206Z), the center of Hurricane "Debby" was located near latitude 17.5 north and longitude 61.7 west, just Southeast of the island of Barbuda in the northern Leeward Islands. Hurricane "Debby" is moving toward the west-northwest near 20 mph (32 km/hr) and this motion is expected to continue today. This motion will take "Debby" directly over the northern Leeward Islands today. Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 75 mph (120 km/hr) with higher gusts.
2. Hurricane warnings remain in effect for the Leeward Islands from Guadeloupe north and northwestward through the British and the U.S. Virgin islands and Puerto Rico and its surrounding islands. A tropical storm warning remains in effect for Dominica and for the coast of the Dominican Republic from Punta Palenque to Cabrera. A hurricane watch is in effect for northern Haiti north of Port au Prince. A tropical storm watch is in effect for the southeastern Bahamas.
3. For further information and updates on tropical storm "Debby", please refer to the National Hurricane Center (USA) at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
4. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
OCHA Disaster Response Branch:
Mr. E. Haegglund/Mr. C. Monteiro-Pereira/Ms. M. Kondo - Direct Tel. +41-22-917 32 99/1383/1997
Press Contact: Mr. D. Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.