Angola - Floods
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
27 January 2000
1. This report is based on the information from the Office of the UN Resident Co-ordinator in Luanda, Angola. OCHA is in close contact with the UN Resident Co-ordinator and will revert with further details if the situation warrants.
2. The media reported heavy rains caused flash flooding in Benguela province and Kwanza Norte province. The local authorities have not yet been able to confirm the number of people or details on areas affected. The consequences of flooding this year have been worse due to the fact that some canals have not been cleaned (in case of Benguela) and IDPs have settled too close to the riverbanks in Bengo and Benguela provinces.
3. On 11 January, OCHA Field Advisor in Benguela conducted an assessment mission in collaboration with UNICEF, WFP and Okutiuka (a national NGO) to evaluate the situation. A follow-up visit was also carried out on 13 January with members of the Government. Relief workers are now on the spot conducting an assessment and taking preventive actions in the following areas:
- Food: WFP has begun the distribution of 27 Mt of food.
- Water and Sanitation: UNICEF will carry out a water sanitation awareness programme.
- Health Prevention: UNICEF will provide two tents for health posts, oral re-hydration salts as well as vaccines and medicines including cholera kits.
5. No request for international assistance has been received by OCHA to date.
6. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officers: Mr. Klaus Wiersing/ Ms. Yasuko Sawada, Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel: + 41 22 917 2770/1768
Contact person for the media: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct tel: +41-22-917-2653
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.