133,672 people assisted In October 2020
2,228 mt of food assistance distributed under GFA
2,099 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 5.4 m six month (November 2020 – April 2021) net funding requirements
• WFP in October distributed a complete food basket that included 8 kg of wheat flour, 2 kg rice, 2 kg barley, 2 kg of lentils, 1 kg of corn soy blend, 750 g sugar and 1 L of vegetable oil. The ration reached 2,099 kcal/day, 100 percent of the planned value.
• Despite funding deficits, WFP was able to distribute a full ration thanks to the generous support of the prepositioned stock managed by the Spanish Red Cross and Algerian Red Crescent that allowed to borrow wheat flour, lentils, sugar and vegetable oil for this month’s entitlement.
• For the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition (MAM) and anaemia in pregnant and lactating women (PLWGs), WFP distributed daily rations of wheat soya blend mixed with sugar and vegetable oil to 645 women. In addition, around 8,000 PLWGs received fresh food vouchers to prevent MAM and anaemia.
• For the treatment of MAM in children, 474 children aged between 6-59 months received daily rations of 100g of specialised nutritious food. To prevent MAM in children, 13,510 boys and girls aged 6-59 months received specialized nutritious food in health centres.
• WFP’s school feeding programme encouraged 39,098 boys and girls in all the camp schools to enrol and attend the schools through the distribution of a mid-morning snack consisting of high energy biscuits and a glass of milk. The schools remained open in October and special safety and hygiene protocols established by the camp leadership in collaboration with UNICEF and other humanitarian actors remain in place.