WFP Algeria Country Brief, October 2018
2349,424 mt of food assistance distributed
2,225 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 5.5 m six months (December 2018 – May 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in October 2018
• In October, as part of the General Food Assistance, WFP distributed 125,000 rations consisting of 8 kg wheat flour, 2 kg rice, 2 kg barley, 2 kg yellow split peas, 0,83 kg CSB, 1kg sugar, and 1litre of fortified vegetable oil. The ration was complemented with 1 kg of gofio (roasted maize meal), which is part of an in-kind donation from the Spanish region of Gran Canaria. The food basket reached a daily energy intake of 2,225 kcal/person, higher than the planned 2,100 kcal per day due to the inclusion of Gofio.
• WFP distributed daily rations of pre-mix 100g corn soya blend (CSB+) and 10g vegetable oil to treat moderate acute malnutrition (MAM) among 635 pregnant and nursing mothers.
• A daily ration of 65g dates were also distributed to 8,191 pregnant and nursing mothers to provide them with additional energy during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The dates, received as in-kind contribution from Saudi Arabia, are used to target pregnant and nursing mothers, in lieu of micronutrient powders (MNPs). Dates are very nutritious and act as an excellent complement to the monthly rations to treat and prevent micronutrient deficiencies. WFP Algeria halted the purchase of MNPs, pending the results of the decentralized evaluation of the nutrition activity and its reformulation.
• To prevent chronic malnutrition, 12,799 boys and girls under five took home daily rations of 10g of a special spread (Nutributter). Additionally, 369 children received the specialized nutrition product (Plumpy’sup) for the treatment of MAM.
• WFP distributed mid-morning snacks consisting of milk and dates to 38,909 boys and girls in primary schools and kindergartens. The transport of the high-energy biscuits that are usually distributed as part of this activity was delayed.