WFP Algeria Country Brief, June 2018
125,000 General food rations distributed
2,270 kcal per ration per day reached in June
13,736 boys and girls received products to treat and prevent malnutrition
USD 4.3 m six-month (July-December 2018)
WFP net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in June 2018
• In June, despite funding constraints, WFP distributed an almost complete food basket, distributing 125,000 rations consisting of 8kg wheat flour, 1kg barley, 2kg rice, 1.5kg lentils, 0.5kg yellow split peas, 1kg CSB, 1kg sugar and 1 litre fortified vegetable oil.
• Refugee women, men, boys and girls also received 2kg of dates as part of the general food assistance.
The distribution of an energy-packed commodity like dates increased the rations’ overall energy intake to 2,270kcal per person per day (vs. 2,100kcal planned).
• WFP distributed daily rations of pre-mix 100g Corn Soya Blend (CSB+) with sugar and 10g vegetable oil to treat Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM) amongst 588 pregnant women and nursing mothers.
• 359 children under five received daily rations of 100g of a specialized nutrition product (Plumpy’sup) to treat their malnutrition.
• To prevent chronic malnutrition, 12,789 boys and girls under five took home daily rations of 10g of a special spread (Nutributter).
• The provision of micronutrient powders (MNPs) to prevent micronutrient deficiencies in pregnant and nursing women (PNW) is pending results of the ongoing decentralized evaluation of the nutrition activity.
• WFP will soon resume distribution of fortified wheat flour to counter the high prevalence of anemia.