OCHA/GVA - 99/0264
Algeria - Earthquake
OCHA Situation Report No. 2
28 December 1999
1. This report is based on an update from the Office of the UN Resident Co-ordinator a.i., in Algeria.
2. As of 24 December, it was reported that 3,000 houses were destroyed and 5,000 families (approximately 25,000 persons) were affected by the earthquake that hit northern Algeria on 22 December. 1,500 families (approximately 7,500 persons) are living in tents. The Algerian Red Crescent reported that more than 100 social infrastructure facilities such as schools, health centers and administrative centers were destroyed. The final death toll has not yet been established.
3. The Government mobilized logistics for the distribution of immediate relief supplies such as tents, blankets and medicaments during the past three days.
4. The Algerian Red Crescent continues to assist the victims by providing relief items, food and various health services.
5. The media reported that the Government of Saudi Arabia contributed food and tents to the victims and the Government of Turkey is dispatching emergency aid through the Red Crescent. The Government of France reportedly indicated its intention to provide assistance.
6. No appeal for international assistance has been made. However, the Director-General of the Civil Protection, the office dealing with this emergency, informed that any contribution will be welcome.
7. For co-ordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding value by item.
8. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officer: Ms. Yasuko Sawada, Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel: + 41 22 917 1768
Contact person for the media: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct tel: +41-22-917-2653
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.