This report is produced by OCHA Afghanistan in collaboration with humanitarian partners. It covers the period from 28/03/2012 to 29/03/2012. The next report will be issued on or around 1 April 2012
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
• According to the Provincial Governor, 20 people reported to have been killed by a landslide in Wachkan village, Darwaz (Nusai) district of Badakhshan province – confirmed by ANDMA and FOCUS.
• 5 houses are completely destroyed.
II. Situation Overview
On 28 March, according to the Provincial Governor’s report that was confirmed by ANDMA and FOCUS, a landslide happened in Wachkan village, Darwaz (Nusai) district of Badakhshan province. The landslide claimed 20 lives and 5 houses were completely destroyed.
Darwaz (Nusai) is one of the districts that have physical access challenges for at least six months a year. Community members are left with the options of walking or using animals to reach markets and basic services. The district has around 8,000 families or 48,000 individuals. Humanitarian organizations operating in Darwaz (Nusai) district are FOCUS, AKHS and WFP as well as Government departments. The supplies are transported via Tajikistan’s Kharuq area.
III. Humanitarian Needs and Response
Needs: Shelter, NFI and Food items.
• FOCUS and AKHS committed to provide Shelter, NFI and Food kits to the affected families.
• ANDMA Badakhshan will distribute cash to each of the deceased person’s family and for the people whose houses were completely destroyed.
• The Badakhshan Provincial Governor has requested for Ministry of Defense helicopters to assist in transport and reaching the affected areas.
Gaps & Constraints: Accessibility is a major challenge. The area can only be reached through air transport.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.