This report is produced by OCHA Afghanistan in collaboration with humanitarian partners. It covers the period from 17 to 22 May 2012. The next report will be issued on or around 23 May 2012.
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
• Afghan Minister of RRD and the Humanitarian Coordinator, accompanied by Heads and representatives of UN organizations, visited the affected people on Tuesday 22 May and expresses sympathy to the families of 19 Afghans who died and the over 10,000 (4,000 families) displaced as a result of the flash floods.
• Humanitarian assistance is being provided to the affected people as further assessments are being conducted in the vicinity of Sari Pul City,
• Accessibility to the flood affected areas is difficult and this requires helicopter transport for situation awareness and needs assessments to be carried out.
• Sari Pul Province has suffered multiple emergencies including drought, conflict induced displacement and flooding within a short period of time.
• ANDMA and OCHA are coordinating the response.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.