- 622,280 total returns from Iran and Pakistan since 01 January 2020
- 616,971 total returns from Iran
- 5,309 total returns from Pakistan
- Over the past week 19,254 undocumented Afghans returned from Iran with 6% of returnees from Iran (1,247 individuals) assisted
- Over the past week 176 undocumented Afghans returned from Pakistan with 92% of returnees from Pakistan (161 individuals) assisted
Return from Iran
According to the Border Monitoring Team of the Directorate of Refugees and Repatriation (DoRR), a total of 19,254 Afghans returned from Iran through the Nimroz (Milak) and Herat (Islam Qala) borders between 04-10 Oct 2020, a 26% decrease from the previous week (25,917). 11,322 persons returned vol- untarily and 7,932 were deported. Since 01 January 2020, the total number of undocumented returnees from Iran is 616,971 individuals. IOM provided post-arrival humanitarian assistance to 1,247 (6%) of all undocumented Afghans at the IOM Transit Centers in Herat and Nimroz during the past week.
IOM is actively supporting the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) and WHO in addressing preparedness and emergency coordination actions through its Cross Border Return, Migration Health and Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Units. IOM support is primarily focused across 4 of WHO’s Global Response Pillars include 1. Coordination; 2. Risk Communication and Community Engagement; 3. Surveillance/DTM; and 4. Points of Entry. Activities include training for frontline health workers, deployment of staffing to areas of need including placement in health facilities, secondment of staff to cross border surveillance, material support of PPE and other equipment, ambulance based referral services, distribution of MOPH-WHO IEC materials and community level awareness raising and sensitization efforts through health education sessions including within Displacement Tracking Matrix focus group discussions in over 12,000 settlements across 34 provinces. For more information please refer to https:// afghanistan.iom.int/IOM-COVID-19-Response
- International Organization for Migration
- Copyright © IOM. All rights reserved.