KABUL, 11 MAY 2011 – The independent anti-corruption Monitoring and Evaluation Committee (MEC) held its inauguration ceremony today in Kabul. The convening of the first meeting of the MEC follows up on commitments made at the London and Kabul Conferences between the Government of Afghanistan and the international community to tackle corruption.
The six Afghan and international experts who make up the MEC were appointed through a Presidential Decree. Today’s inauguration signals an important development in the fight against corruption.
The MEC have been tasked to develop clear and objective benchmarks for progress in fighting corruption and to prepare periodic reports on national and international activity for the Afghan President, Parliament and for all Afghans.
UNAMA appreciates the work that has gone into nominating and selecting international experts and respected Afghan members, welcomes the establishment of the MEC and recognises the leadership shown by the Afghan authorities.
“We hope that today's inauguration marks the beginning of a strong commitment towards full cooperation by all to fight corruption,” UNAMA’s representative said at the conference.
UNAMA requests that the support of all is forthcoming to the MEC so that it is able to provide effective assistance in Afghanistan's fight against corruption – strategically, tactically and operationally.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
The members of the Monitoring Evaluation Committee (MEC) are:
- Mohammad Yasin Osmani (Afghan) former director-general of the High Office of Oversight (current chairman);
- Dr Mohammad Azam Dadfar (Afghan) former Minister of Higher Education and former Minister of Refugees and Repatriation;
- Dr Sidiqullah (Afghan) former United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan deputy head of office in Kandahar;
- Drago Kos (Slovenian) current Chairman of the Council of Europe's Group of States Against Corruption;
- Nuhu Ribadu (Nigerian) former Head of the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (2003-2007);
- Erry Riyana Hardjapamekas (Indonesian) former Vice-Chairman of the Indonesian Corruption Eradication Commission (2003-2007).
· For detailed biographies please visit our website: http://unama.unmissions.org
United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), Kabul, Afghanistan All media contact details are online at: http://unama.unmissions.org