"UNHCR, in consultation with other UN agencies, has temporarily suspended its missions in the districts of Khogyani, Kunar and Hesarak districts of Nangarhar province," assistant public information officer for the refugee agency, Mohammad Nader Farhad told IRIN in the Afghan capital, Kabul on Monday.
According to Farhad, a UNHCR team, escorted by a security vehicle, on its way to Hesarak district in the provincial capital Jalalabad drove past a dead body. When the escort vehicle stopped to investigate, they came under attack from unknown sources.
"Unfortunately two people lost their lives and one of the men was seriously injured," he explained, noting no one from UNHCR had been killed or injured in the incident.
"Such sudden incidents often happen, but security in general is normal in Nangarhar," he claimed.
However, according to the BBC, the district
where the attack happened is notorious for banditry and the growing of
opium poppies. "The Afghan security commander for Jalalabad says he
thinks the attackers were opposed to the work of the international community
in reconstructing Afghanistan,"
the report maintained.
Since the fall of the Taliban, security continues to remain a pivotal issue in the reconstruction of the country, with numerous such incidents being reported.
[This Item is Delivered to the "Asia-English" Service of the UN's IRIN humanitarian information unit, but may not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations. For further information, free subscriptions, or to change your keywords, contact e-mail: IRIN@ocha.unon.org or Web: http://www.irinnews.org . If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this item, please retain this credit and disclaimer. Reposting by commercial sites requires written IRIN permission.]
Copyright (c) UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs 2003