During the reporting period three natural disaster incidents were reported.
• Parwan Province: On the 3rd of February, ANDMA reported 44 families affected by heavy rainfall in four districts of Parwan province: Sayd Khel, Bagram, Chaharikar, Surkh Parsa. One person was injured and three persons caught in an avalanche did not survive the incident in Shekh Ali district, Dara Botyan village. Consequently, the joint assessment conducted by IOM, ANDMA, CARE, ARCS, and DoRR on the 6th of February identified 27 families for immediate assistance (nine houses destroyed, 18 houses severely damaged). IOM provided winter warm clothing and blankets to these 27 families, while CARE provided nine tents and ANDMA assisted with food items. A separate assessment carried out by ANDMA recommended additional 22 families for assistance. UNICEF committed to assist 22 families with NFIs and hygiene kits.
• Logar Province: On the 5th of February, ANDMA and IRC reported heavy snowfall and harsh winter affecting around 15 families in Kharwar district. Six casualties, including those of two children were also reported. Families in other districts of the province were also severely affected. In response, IOM and IRC conducted an assessment in six districts: Baraki Barak, Kharwar, Khoshi, Pul-e-Alam, Mohammad Agha and center, on the 10th of February. 152 families were confirmed for an assistance (houses severely damaged). IOM will provide winter warm clothing to all families, while IRC will provide tarpaulins, in addition to 27 latrine kits and kitchen sets to female headed families.
Central Highland region:
• Ghor-Lal Wa Sarejangal Province: On the 2nd of February, as per information from Lal Wa Sarejangal district’s governor and ANDMA in Ghor, 70 families were displaced from Qafla, Taimazar, Khawzari Bala, Khawzari Payen villages to Dara and Khawzari Meyana villages due to avalanches and snowstorm. Despite the transportation difficulties given the heavy snowfall, IOM together with CDC, Lal DDMC and a representative from Lal district government conducted an assessment on the 8th of February. 65 families were found displaced from Dara and Seya Bomak villages to Khawzari Payen, Khawzari Bala, Khawzari Meyana, Qafla and Taimazar villages. The families are currently living in the mosques and with host families. The main needs of the IDPs were winter warm clothing, blankets, hygiene kits, solar modules and food items. IOM will assist with the provision of winter warm clothing, blankets and solar modules on the 14th of February, while food items and hygiene kits have been referred to WFP and OCHA.
- International Organization for Migration
- Copyright © IOM. All rights reserved.