Afghanistan - Forest Fires
OCHA Situation Report No.1
18 June 1999
1. According to information received from the Office of the Permanent Representative Designate of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan to the United Nations in New York, a massive fire broke out in the forest of the Sholake valley, Kunar province of Afghanistan. The fire started on 12 June, and it is continuing in all directions. So far 5 hectares have been burned and the fires have devastated the settlements of Badil, Sholake and Hadwal. The extent and volume of the flames is large enough to make it impossible to bring them under control by the local and state authorities of Afghanistan. In addition, there are reportedly no facilities at hand to fight the fire, which is getting closer to the villages and endangers the lives and properties of the inhabitants.
2. On 17 June 1999, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan appealed to the world community, specifically the neighbouring countries and the Islamic countries, to help and provide necessary support to the people of Afghanistan to cope with this tragedy. The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan also calls upon the United Nations Agencies to take urgent steps in preventing the fire from spreading to other residential areas and to provide emergency aid to those who are affected.
3. OCHA is in close contact with the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Assistance to Afghanistan to obtain more detailed information on the damage and assistance needed and will provide a more comprehensive report as soon as possible.
4. OCHA is prepared to serve as channel for cash contributions to be used for immediate relief assistance, in coordination/consultation with relevant organizations in the United Nations system. Funds should be transferred to OCHA account No. CO-590.160.1, Swift code: SBCOCHGG12A at the UBS AG, P.O. Box 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, with reference: OCHA - Afghanistan - Fires. OCHA provides donors with written confirmation and pertinent details concerning the utilization of the funds contributed.
5. Donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, on relief missions /pledges/contributions and their corresponding values by item.
6. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers: Ms. S. Metzner-Strack/Mr.
R. Mueller/Ms. M. Kondo,
OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel. +41-22-917-2144 / 3131 / 1997
Press contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva, direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.