I. GENERAL SITUATION
1. Since the month of April 1997, flooding has been affecting the Northern Region of Afghanistan. Several rivers and their tributaries have overflowed their banks in the Provinces of Balkh, Saripul and Faryab causing damage/destruction to houses, cultivated land, irrigation system, grain mills, roads and bridges. Livestock has also been killed.
2. Together with the Department of Irrigation, the Department of Foreign Affairs and provincial authorities, the UN System (the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Assistance to Afghanistan/UNOCHA, FAO, UNHCR, UNICEF, the United Nations Office for Project Services/UNOPS, WFP), ICRC and OXFAM, are coordinating the assessment of damage as well as emergency needs and long-term rehabilitation requirements. Survey teams have carried out preliminary assessments and are continuing on-site missions in the affected remote areas that are difficult to reach because of heavy flooding and damage to the road network.
II. PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT OF NEEDS
3. Preliminary assessment of needs indicates the following categories:
- wheat flour ( because of destruction of flour mills),
- means of transport including fuel,
- removal of debris and strengthening of river embankments
4. FAO: vaccines for surviving livestock, UNOCHA: bulldozers on standby, UNICEF: plastic sheeting and support in the area of water supply, UNOPS: repairing of two bridges, WFP: emergency food rations.
5. DHA Geneva is in close contact with UNOCHA/Islamabad who is coordinating further assessments of damage and needs.
Telephone number: +41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917-2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Eric Haegglund, direct tel: +41-22-917-3299/ Mr. Carlos Pereira
direct tel: +41-22-917-1383
Press to contact: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, direct tel: +41-22-917-2856
Telex: 41 42 42 dha ch