Afghanistan - Earthquake
OCHA Geneva Situation Report No. 1
12 February 1999
1. The United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Afghanistan reported that an earthquake had struck the vicinity of Shaikhabad in the province of Wardak, south of Kabul on 11 February around 19:00 hrs local time. The United States Geological Survey reported that the preliminary hypocentre for the earthquake, with a magnitude of 5.9, was about 80 km SSW of Kabul (latitude 33.8 degrees north and longitude 69.0 degrees east). There is good access to the affected area between the two arteral roads that run south from Kabul, towards Ghazni and Gardez.
2. According to as yet unconfirmed reports from the Afghan Red Crescent Society, some 20 people have been killed, with many more injured, and up to 600 houses have been damaged.
3. An ICRC/IFRC assessment team left for the area today and additional information is expected. An ICRC/IFRC convoy carrying medical supplies, plastic sheeting, blankets and water containers was ready to be mobilized to the affected area from Kabul when required. The UN Resident Coordinator has shared details of appropriate materials stockpiled by UN agencies in Kabul and instructed his staff to assist the convoy if additional supplies are needed.
4. The UNOCHA staff in Faizabad, in the province of Badakhshan, reported that the earthquake was felt in the area, but that no significant damage occurred there, nor in Rustaq, in the province of Takhar. These were the two provinces which suffered most from the two 1998 earthquakes.
5. OCHA is in close contact with the UN Resident Coordinator for Afghanistan to monitor further developments and to update information.
6. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers: Ms. S. Metzner-Strack/Mr. R. Mueller/Ms. M. Kondo, OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel. +41-22-917-2144 / 3131 / 1997
Press contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva,
direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH
Fax: +41-22-9187 00 23
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.