All Updates

140 entries found
14 Dec 2018 description
report Monitor-Uganda

By EPHRAIM KASOZI

Kampala. Plans have been finalised for government to construct 900 houses in Bunambutye Sub-county in Bulambuli District to resettle landslide victims, the State Minister for Relief, Disaster Preparedness and Refugees, Mr Musa Ecweru, has said.

Mr Ecweru yesterday said the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) is working with the Ministry of Lands to make Bunambutye a model settlement area, adding that commissioning of the first set of houses is slated for February 2019.

27 Nov 2018 description
report Monitor-Uganda

By YAHUDU KITUNZI

The Eastern Cooperate Club (ECC) on Sunday donated food and other assorted items worth millions of shillings to homeless victims of the recent landslide in Bukalasi Sub County, Bududa District.

The relief items were handed over to Bukalasi Sub County leadership by ECC President, Mr Xavier Watikha at Sume Primary School. Mr Watikha said the items donated include; clothes, shoes, food, mosquito nets, bread among others.

21 Nov 2018 description
report Monitor-Uganda

By James Kabengwa

Tension among residents around River Mayanja in Wakiso District yesterday remained high as district officials declared that they had no funds to help those affected after the river burst its banks. The leaders also said there had been no response from government yet.

At least four major crossing points at Buloba Kikubampanga, Gobero-Kakiri-Masuliita, Kawanda-Kayunga and Bubale were completely swept away, hindering movement of residents.

By yesterday, residents had resorted to other longer routes to cross to their destinations.

11 Nov 2018 description
report Monitor-Uganda

President Yoweri Museveni has fulfilled his pledge of availing Shs2 million to each of the survivors and those injured during the tragic Bududa mudslides. He also given Shs5 million to each of the families who lost their loved ones.

The mudslides occurred on October 11, 2018 following a heavy downpour in Bukalasi Sub-County in Bududa District, leaving several people homeless.

President Museveni had made the pledge during his visit on October 14, 2018 to express his sympathy to the affected families in the area.

27 Oct 2018 description
report Monitor-Uganda

KAMPALA. The government on Friday officially called off the search for people that were swept away by the devastating mudslides in the villages of Bakalasi Sub County in Bududa District.

Mr Martin Owor, the commissioner for disaster in the office of the Prime Minister (OPM), said that they are now focusing on taking care of those that survived as well as families of those who lost their lives in the disaster.