UNITAR – UNOSAT has performed a rapid satellite based analysis and assessment to illustrate the impact in the wake of Tropical Cyclone Mekunu-18 over Qalansiyah, Socotra Island, Yemen. For this analysis UNOSAT has used satellite images over the area before and after the cyclone:
• Pre event: Planet from 08 May 2018 (3 m resolution)
• Post event: Planet from 27 May 2018 (3 m resolution)
• Water flow with potentially high discharges is observed in wadis.
• Some areas along the wadis seem to be potentially flooded as of 27 May 2018.
• Some road sections appear to be potentially affected by water and mud.
• This is a preliminary analysis and has not yet been validated in the field. Please send ground feedback to UNITAR – UNOSAT.