World - Severe weather events - ECHO Daily Map | 05/10/2015
The Bahamas, Bermuda - Tropical Cyclone JOAQUIN
• Hurricane JOAQUIN is moving off the coast of Bermuda, as a Category 1 Hurricane. Previously it affected several Caribbean islands with heavy rains and winds, causing floods in the Bahamas and killing one person in Haiti.
• Over the next 24 h it is forecast to move north-east over the Atlantic Ocean, away from Bermuda, weakening.
France - Floods
• Heavy rain affected south-eastern France on 3-4 October, causing floods especially in Alpes-Maritimes department (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur). As of 5 October, 17 people were killed (seven in Mandelieu-la-Napoule) and three were missing. Road, rail and air traffic have been affected. The electricity supply is expected to be fully restored later on 5 October.
• Moderate rains and thunderstorms may still affect some areas of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region on 5-6 October.
China, Philippines - Tropical Cyclone MUJIGAE
• MUJIGAE, after having affected Luzon (Philippines), reached southern China on 4 October, as a very intense Typhoon. Heavy rains, strong winds and storm surge affected Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan.
• As of 5 October, at least four people died (16 missing) in southern China, while one person died (27 missing) in the Philippines.
• Over the next 24 h heavy rain may still affect southern China.
Guatemala - Landslide
• The landslide of 2 October in Santa Catarina Pinula killed at least 131 people and 350 were still missing. Search efforts continue.
INDIA - Floods
• Heavy rains affected Maharashtra state over the last few days, causing floods and killing at least 40 people (media).
• Over the next 24 h locally heavy rains may still affect southern Maharashtra.