World - Events - ECHO Daily Map | 27/08/2015
Caribbean - Tropical Cyclone ERIKA
• ERIKA continues moving north-west as a Tropical Storm. On 27 August, at 9.00 UTC, its centre was located between Grand Terre of Guadeloupe and the island of Antigua.
• Over the next 24h, ERIKA’s intensity may slightly increase, but will remain a Tropical Storm. Its centre is forecast to pass near or over portions of the Leeward Islands and the British Virgin Islands on 27 August and near or north of Puerto Rico early on 28 August UTC.
• As of 27 August, Tropical Storm Warnings and Watches are in effect by NOAA for the Caribbean islands along ERIKA’s path.
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia – Refugee/migration crisis
• The influx of refugees and migrants continues at a rate of over 1,000 daily, ECHO allocated €1.5 million in humanitarian funding to alleviate the plight of refugees and to respond to their basic protection needs while in transit through the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Serbia. The period of stay in the two countries is likely to become prolonged, due to the adoption of strict controls at the Hungarian/Serbian border.
• ECHO funding will contribute to the provision of essential assistance (food, water, hygiene, non-food items) at places of concentration of refugees and support the presence of international agencies at borders and registration points.
DPRK – Tropical Cyclone GONI
• Heavy rain, due to the passage of Tropical Cyclone GONI off the coast of the Korean peninsula, caused floods and landslides in the north-eastern part of the country.
• As of 26 August, 40 people have reportedly died and over 11,000 affected in Rason city and North Hamgyong province.
• Over the next 48h, moderate to locally heavy rain may affect north and northeastern DPRK.
U.S.A. – Tropical Cyclone IGNACIO
• IGNACIO continued moving north-west over the Pacific Ocean, strengthening into a Category 1 Hurricane. On 27 August, at 9.00 UTC, its centre was 1 920 km south-east of Hawaii’s Big Island.
• Over the next 72h IGNACIO is forecast to continue moving north-west towards Hawaii, intensifying further, but remaining far from land.
West Africa – Ebola outbreak
• The second Ebola test result of the last patient in Sierra Leone was negative and she was officially discharged on 24 August. On 25 August, the Sierra Leonean government started the 42 days countdown to Ebola-free status.
• Three new cases were reported in Guinea this week. No new cases have been reported in Liberia for 21 days.
• Major organisations continue their calls to remain vigilant as considerable efforts are still needed to detect and interrupt all remaining transmission chains and to manage the residual risks, also in Ebola-free areas.
Kenya – Cholera outbreak
• The cholera outbreak continues spreading fast. Since end of December 2014, a total of 20 out of 47 counties have been affected, including areas traditionally not affected by the disease.
• Cholera is spreading to areas where communities and staff awareness and preparedness is low. In addition, in counties of North-Eastern Kenya, the difficult security situation hinders access of health workers.
• So far, a total of 5,625 cases and 117 deaths have been reported nationally.