World - Events - ECHO Daily Map | 11/06/2015
Mexico - Tropical Depression THREE
• Tropical Depression THREE formed in the eastern Pacific Ocean, off the coasts of Oaxaca and Guerrero states, on 10 June.
• On 11 June, at 9.00 UTC, its approximate centre was 410km of Acapulco in Guerrero.
• Over the next 48h, THREE is forecast to intensify significantly. It is expected to move north-west and then turn north-northeast, towards Oaxaca and Guerrero.
• Very heavy rainfall and strong winds may affect the southern states of Mexico, particularly Guerrero, Oaxaca and Chiapas, on 11 June.
France - Severe Weather
• Local heavy rainfall and strong winds affected southern France, including the island of Corsica, on 10 June.
• Consequent floods were reported in the departments of Haute-Corse, Bouches-du-Rhône and Pyrénées-Orientales. In the latter, two people got injured and one is missing in the gorge of Galamus. In Corsica, a landslide along the G20 hiking trail killed three people, while another four are still missing.
• Thunderstorms may still affect the Pyrénées-Orientales on 11 June.
Nepal - Severe Weather
• Heavy rainfall in Taplejung district (129mm/24h in Taplejung town), Eastern Region, on 10 June caused a landslide that affected six villages.
• As of 11 June, local media report 47 people killed and 80 seriously injured. Many more are reported missing. Continuous rain and flash floods in the streams hamper rescue efforts.
• Over the next 24h, some rain is still possible in Taplejung, although the rest of Eastern Region may receive heavy rainfall in places.
Ethiopia - Humanitarian situation
• The humanitarian situation in Ethiopia is deteriorating due to an expanding drought following poor raining seasons. Increasing water and pasture shortages in parts of the country (see map) led to deteriorated livestock production and productivity, deepening food insecurity and raising levels of malnutrition.
• A large number of drought displaced families moved to areas that received rain. This will cause over-grazing of the areas, which may damage the resiliency and the coping mechanisms of the host communities and can diminish the availability of water. Estimations mention a potential increase from 2.9 to 3.9 million food insecure people in need of assistance.
• Measles and meningitis outbreaks are increasing with a funding gap of EUR 32.8 million for the vaccination campaign. Since the beginning of the year, 11 675 measles cases were confirmed.
Oman - Tropical Cyclone ASHOBAA
• Tropical Cyclone ASHOBAA continued moving towards southern Ash Sharqiyah Region, weakening significantly over the past 24h. On 11 June at 6.00 UTC, its centre was located 175km east of the northern coast of Masirah island.
• ASHOBAA is forecast to approach Masirah and the coast of South Ash Sharqiyah governorate in the afternoon of 12 June (UTC), having maintained its intensity until then.
• Heavy rainfall and strong winds will affect Ash Sharqiyah Region, as well ast he rest of eastern and central Oman, including the capital Muscat.