Mauritius - Tropical Cyclone BANSI
• BANSI passed off the north-eastern coast of Rodrigues early in the morning of 16 January, as an intense Tropical Cyclone.
• Heavy rainfall and strong winds have affected the island and may continue for the next 12 h.
• In the next 48h it is forecast to continue moving south-east over the Indian Ocean, weakening.
Madagascar - Tropical Cyclone CHEDZA
• CHEDZA is approaching the coast of central-western Madagascar, as an intense Tropical Storm. Its center is forecast to reach the coast of Menabe region late in the afternoon of 16 January; then continue moving eastsoutheast over land, weakening into a Tropical Depression. It may exit into the south-western Indian Ocean late on 17 January.
• Heavy rains and winds may affect several areas of central and southern Madagascar on 16-18 January, including the area of Antananarivo, already affected by floods during the last couple of weeks. As of 15 January, Red Alerts for heavy rainfall are in effect for several regions of central and southern Madagascar.
Philippines - Tropical Cyclone MEKKHALA
• MEKKHALA (called "AMANG" in the Philippines) is moving towards central Philippines, as a Tropical Storm. It is forecast to reach the island of Samar in the morning of 17 January (UTC), as a Tropical Storm. Then it is forecast to turn north-west across central-northern Philippines, weakening into a Tropical Depression. The uncertainty of the forecast track / intensity after 17 January is still high.
• As of 16 January 11.00 UTC, a Public Storm Warning Signal #1 is in effect for parts of Luzon and Visayas, as heavy rainfall and