INDIA - Tropical cyclone HUDHUD
• HUDHUD made landfall in the area of Visakhapatnam, north Andhra Pradesh, in the morning (UTC) of 12 October, having max. sustained winds of approx. 200 km/h; then it moved inland, weakening.
• HUDHUD affected north Coastal Andhra Pradesh, south Odisha and Chhattisgarh with strong winds and heavy rainfall, as well as storm surge along the coast.
• According to media (as of 13 October), there were at least six dead (three in Andhra Pradesh, three in Odisha), water, electricity and communication networks damaged in Visakhapatnam.
• ECHO Partners have started assessments.
• ECHO is monitoring the situation; a team will be in Odisha as from 14 October and, if a severe impact is confirmed, will be ready to assess needs caused by the winds and floods.
JAPAN - Tropical cyclone VONGFONG
• After crossing Okinawa, on 12 October VONGFONG turned north-east and made landfall in southern Kagoshima prefecture on Kyushu island, overnight 12-13 October; then it moved over Shikoku Island in the morning of 13 October. Strong winds, heavy rain and storm surge affected parts of south-western Japan.
• As of 13 October, media reported one person missing and 68 injured (23 of them in Okinawa).
• In the next 24 h it is forecast to move north-east over Honshu island, weakening further. As of 13 October (JMA), there are warnings in effect for heavy rain, floods, storms and high waves for parts of Okinawa, Kyushu, Shikoku and Honshu.