Climate Prediction Center’s Africa Hazards Outlook October 8 – October 14, 2015
- Continuation of suppressed rainfall along coastal Gulf of Guinea regions and enhanced rain across the Sahel and far western Gulf of Guinea.
- Dryness persists throughout parts of Ethiopia.
1) Poorly distributed rainfall has resulted in drought, which has severely impacted ground conditions and already led to livestock death across parts of north-central and eastern Ethiopia.
2) Below-average rainfall since August has led to a strengthening of moisture deficits throughout several provinces in southern South Sudan and northern Uganda. Below-average rainfall is expected in the region for the upcoming outlook period.
3) Below-average rainfall over several bimodal areas of Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Benin, and Nigeria has led to a rapid strengthening of moisture deficits and a degradation of ground conditions.
4) High moisture levels resulting from heavy rains last week and a wetter than average season overall have led to a heightened risk of flooding. Flooding has been reported in northern Senegal. Increased chances of heavy rain for western Gulf of Guinea nations during the upcoming outlook period may trigger flooding in these regions.