• Tropical Cyclone (TC) WINSTON formed over the South Pacific Ocean between Vanuatu and Fiji and moved southwest, strengthening. It passed east of Tafea Province (Vanuatu) on 12 Feb, as an intense Tropical Cyclone. Locally heavy rains and winds affected some areas of Fiji and Vanuatu.
• In the morning of 15 Feb, it was moving north-east, with max. sustained winds of 100-110 km/h.
• Over the next 24 h it is forecast to pass close to Ona-i-Liau and Vatoa islands (Fiji), roughly keeping its strength. Then it is forecast to continue moving north-east, strengthening and it may start turning west on 18 Feb; however the uncertainty of the forecast track/ intensity is still high.
• On 15-18 Feb, heavy rains and strong winds may affect the Lau group of islands (Fiji), especially Onai-Liau and Vatoa, as well as some areas of Tonga.
SOUTH PACIFIC TROPICAL CYCLONE SEASON
• From 1 Nov to 30 April
RECENT TROPICAL CYCLONES IN THE AREA
• In January 2016, TC ULA affected Tonga, Fiji (especially Lau islands) and Vanuatu with heavy rains and winds. Media reported floods and a number of damaged houses in Fiji and in some areas of Tonga.