Chile - Volcanic eruption
• Calbuco volcano erupted on 22 April, with volcanic ash reaching a height greater than 15 km, pyroclastic flow within a range of 7 km and lahars travelling 15 km through riverbeds. As of early morning on 24 April, gas emission from the erupted crater continue.
• As of 24 April, the aviation colour code over the volcano remains Red. The 20 km restriction zone around the crater remains in effect, while a total of 4,514 evacuees have been recorded and 12 shelters have been opened in the surrounding communes.
South Sudan - Conflict
• Resumption of fighting in Upper Nile’s capital, Malakal, resulted in 2,000 civilians seeking shelter in the Protectionof-Civilian site at the UNMISS compounds, where over 26,000 IDPs are already being hosted.
• Humanitarian aid agencies have left Pagak, due to staff harassment, threats and impediment of movement.
• The EC Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management, Christos Stylianides, arrived in South Sudan in the evening of 23 April, aiming at advocacy for a political solution to the conflict.
Yemen - Complex emergency
• Airstrikes continue over several governorates, including Taiz, Aden, Lahj, Sa'ada and Al Dhalee, as well as the capital, Sana’a.
• In Aden, the airport was targeted and street fighting continues, with casualties, displaced people, burnt civilian residences and damaged health facilities.
• Emergency food distribution to affected populations continues in Aden, Hodeida, Hajjah, and Sana’a. Around 13,000 people have received full food rations, although distributions are hampered by conflict, insecurity and fuel shortages.