Bangladesh - Landslides – DG ECHO Daily Map | 14/06/2017
• Heavy rain in Bangladesh over the past few days have led to several landslides in the Chittagong Division.
• Local media, as of 14 June, reported that landslides have caused 142 deaths.
• In addition to mudslides, the rains caused severe flooding in low lying areas, causing significant damage to road and communication infrastructure. Remote communities in Bandarban, Chittagong and Rangamati districts have been cut off and remain without water, electricity, and food supplies.
• Severe weather is hampering rescue operations. The Bangladesh Army is now clearing roads and conducting rescue operations with the help of local police, fire and medical services.
• 18 emergency shelter centres have been opened to accommodate over 4 500 displaced people. Emergency relief, including 500 tons of rice and $15 000 in cash, has been approved by the government and is being sent to the affected areas.
• Chittagong division has been recently affected by the passage of Tropical Cyclone MORA on 30 May that caused five deaths and over 200 000 people evacuated.
• Over the next 24h, heavy rain to locally very heavy may continue to affect some areas of Chittagong and Sylhet divisions, landslide may occur at places over the Hilly regions of Sylhet and Chittagong (Heavy rainfall warning is in effect, BMD as of 14 June).