To effectively manage the health project in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget laid down in the current proposal and meet Medair quality standards and the BPHS. To ensure that beneficiary participation is enhanced in all phases of the project. To manage and train the PHC team and locally recruited health staff. To anticipate, plan, and share in the development of new health project proposals.
Emergency Relief and Recovery projects in countries of high vulnerability.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
This position is frequently required in the Field. Normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years, 100%
Key Activity Areas
Technical / Management
- Develop and manage a comprehensive activity plan covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Ensure the quality and sustainability of the project outputs.
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities (monthly, quarterly and final reports).
- Support the Programme Coordinator and CD in the development of new proposals.
- Support the health sector by the improvement and further design of the technical sector on approved and appropriate health practices.
Logistics and Administration
- Coordinate with the logistics department and ensure all health project related equipment is available on site in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate with the administration department to ensure accurate accounting of project finances as well as effective cash-flow.
- Ensure that health project stocks are managed, transported and maintained correctly.
- Oversee all staff based in the health project including recruitment, appraisal, management, general well-being, job descriptions, work schedules, discipline etc. in coordination with the Projects Coordinator.
- Provide training to all National staff in the health sector (within budget and operational constraints) so as to ensure ownership and full local responsibility of all health activities.
- To facilitate regular project meetings to assist information sharing between project staff and to ensure that all staff members are well aware of project objectives and current work plan.
Communications and Public Relations
- To maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure within the Medair team.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local authorities, churches and NGO's on site, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Contribute to Medair’s private fundraising and public awareness campaigns by supplying the FCO or the International HQ Marketing team with beneficiary stories and photos, as well as project updates etc.
- To be responsible for the safety and security of Medair health assets and personnel on site of operations.
- To adhere to the security guidelines employed by Medair on site.
- To promote and use the e-library, ensuring the standardised formats are used and guidelines followed.
- Ensure health projects are implemented in accordance with Medair, donor, field, and international standards.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field; BSc/MSc in Management desirable
- Medical doctor or senior nurse with public health or tropical health qualification desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written)
- Arabic, Dutch, French or / and German an asset
- 2 years minimum experience post qualification.
- 1 yr overseas experience in relief work with an NGO, having worked preferably in the health sector desirable.
- Able to prioritise clearly; able to enforce procedures; able to oversee multiple tasks.
- Good interpersonal skills; clear communicator.
- Good negotiation skills, especially in the context of another culture.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills desirable.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.*