This role can be based in Dakar, London or Nairobi. Candidates from other IRC approved countries will also be considered.
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
The IRC committed under its 2020 Strategy to a number of ambitious changes to the way the organization works, strengthening our ability to deliver high impact programming. This included the commitment to client responsive programming. Under Strategy 100 we have reaffirmed that commitment, deepening and expanding our work to date.
Driving forward the organizational ambition around client responsiveness, the IRC set up a team in 2015 to develop and implement a strategy for the roll-out of client responsive programming. The team works closely and collaboratively at all levels of the organization and with peers and donors to share learning and ensure relevance and uptake of new approaches. The team contributes to the change agenda around Accountability to Affected Populations and Humanitarian Effectiveness, through hosting and participating in inter-agency events, communication efforts and strategic partnerships.
Alongside the pursuit of these ambitions, the IRC is also now looking at ways to integrate these ambitions alongside other organizational ambitions in the field, working closely with regional and country management to harness and strengthen business processes which facilitate effective decision making.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Client Responsiveness Specialist is responsible for developing and delivering technical support plans, guidance and tools to achieve IRC’s strategic ambition of Client-Centered Programming. She/he works collaboratively with senior management in regions and country programmes to identify technical support and resource priorities to strengthen the capacity of country programme teams, identify staffing and budgeting approaches to institutionalize Client-Centered Programming and promote Client Responsiveness goals. The post holder contributes to building out new approaches and leading on some of the priority strategic workstreams. She/he will also contribute to the implementation of a two-year BHA funded project geared towards empowering front line staff to enable participation of crisis-affected people in the design and delivery of humanitarian assistance.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Client Responsiveness Specialist reports into the Director, Client Responsiveness and works closely with the other Client Responsiveness Technical Specialist(s) and a Project Manager in the Client Responsiveness Team and other colleagues from the Governance Technical Unit and across Technical Excellence, as well as the Emergency and Humanitarian Action Unit (EHAU).
Internally, the post holder works closely with senior management in Country Programmes and Regions, key staff in Technical Units and Strategic Initiatives, and the Measurement Unit.
Externally, the post holder seeks to develop relationships with peer agencies working on related thematic areas, with specialist think tanks and consultancies, and relevant network bodies.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
The Client Responsiveness Specialist has authority and responsibility for:
Developing and delivering regional implementation plans for Client-Centered Programming.
Providing technical support to country teams to institutionalize Client Centered Programming and advance IRC’s strategic priority in this area.
Contributing to the implementation of a two-year BHA funded project to empower front-line staff to enable participation of crisis-affected people.
Contributing to the further development of the resource kit, tools and trainings on Client Responsiveness / Client Centered Programming.
Contributing to integrate Client Centered Programming into existing IRC’s business and decision-making processes.
Coordinating and communicating internally to promote coherence between the Clients Ambition and the work of other units.
Representing the IRC’s work and policy positions on Client Centered Programming and Accountability to Affected Populations amongst external stakeholders.
Provide technical support to Country Programmes to achieve S100 Client Ambition:
- Develop and implement technical support plans in coordination with Regional Measurement Advisors, in a manner that is responsive to demands from country teams and identified gaps in their knowledge and practice.
- Provide quality technical support on Client Responsiveness, support development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), country program level feedback plans, multi-sector satisfaction surveys, training and on-boarding of new and existing staff; budgeting and staffing approaches.
- Provide support to include client perspectives in Country Program Strategic Action Plans (SAP) and SAP – Implementation Plans.
Support the development and implementation of IRC Strategic Client Ambition
- Contribute to the implementation of the Clients Ambition phase 1 priorities, through supporting consultations across the organization, particularly country programme staff, and leading on the development of relevant approaches, tools and guidance for implementation at country program level.
- Proactively collaborate with other teams to ensure alignment of the approach with other broad organizational priorities, initiatives and work-streams for the country support.
- Contribute to further develop and disseminate the resource kit on Client Responsiveness and facilitate peer learning among countries and regions
- Collaborate with other units to promote coherence with and integrate Client Centered Programming in their own work
- Collect and share learning from country programs in the form of case studies, reports, briefing notes and blogs.
Support the implementation of the “Empower to Enable” (E2E) two-year project
- Provide technical support and oversight for the development and field testing of the Learning Report and the E2E Toolkit
- Ensure technical inputs for the development of the project’s product as well as convening and facilitating the Project Advisory Committee meetings
- Develop the content and support the facilitation of the Project Kick off meeting, the two Learning and Development Workshops and the Global and Regional Dialogue Events
- Provide technical support to the two country teams piloting the project’s product.
- Facilitate the dissemination of the products and learning generated through this project through AAP networks and national and international organizations.
- Coordinate with the Project Manager to ensure timely high-quality deliverables on the project
Any additional support as requested by the supervisor
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience designing, implementing and supporting client feedback mechanisms and working on Accountability to Affected Population within Humanitarian and/or Development programs
- A proven track record with at least 3 years of field-based experience working in developing, fragile and conflict affected countries
- Prior experience providing technical advisory support and trainings, remote and face to face
- Experience in working across sectors or disciplines
- Experience with data management, visualization and interpretation
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong analytical, presentation, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated expertise in program design, monitoring and evaluation and program adaptation
- Experience in project management
- Ability to work within a team with a track record of collaborating across disciplines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Active listening skills and ability to work with colleagues from different cultures and contexts.
- Education: Master’s/post-graduate degree in public administration, public policy, political science, international development, economics, statistics or other relevant field.
- Language Skills: Fluency in English is required, working knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish is strongly preferred.
Preferred experience & skills:
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite, CommCare and PowerBI is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to manage and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
- Standard office working environment
- Some international travel, including in remote and volatile locations as needed up to 20%
- This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.