In 2022 UNHCR Field Office Ciudad Guayana is expanding its presence in Santa Elena de Uairen (SEU) of the Gran Sabana Municipality, as a result of the different missions that have been carried out, which refer to the increase in protection risks, forced mobility, social control, sexual slavery, or sex for survival, child labor, and forced recruitment by the sindicates that operate in the mining areas. In this sense, UNHCR jointly with partners and UN Agencies will coordinate activities in order to support the local authorities in responding to the protection and solutions needs to the most vulnerable groups. In addition, IOM and UNHCR, following a 2022 Memo of mutual cooperation, will have a new joint office and warehouse in SEU forecasted in 2022. The Driver in the UNHCR Office will be supervised directly by the Field Associate in SEU with close coordination of the Field Security Associate based in UNHCR Ciudad Guayana. Besides driving, the incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation. S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While the basic function of a driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles. The Driver has regular contacts with staff within the UNHCR Office and with others (including Partners, government authorities, etc.) outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information. All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity. Please also note that recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers, deliver, and collect documents and other items. - Meet official personnel at airports or other locations and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required. - Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road or waterway worthy and maintained up to the established security standards. - Perform minor repairs, arrange for other repairs, and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean. - Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations, or other local procedures, are taken in case of involvement in an accident. - Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc. - Ensure that instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed. - Ensures valid documentation for passengers, items or cargo in vehicle. - Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level For G2D - 2 years relevant experience with Completion of Primary Education or High School Diploma or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses *Driving Licences (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience Essential Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations. Desirable Not specified.
Functional Skills * DV-Driving Rules and Regulations; DV-Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills; (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements: For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Competency requirements: Core Competencies:
- Accountability - Communication - Organizational Awareness - Teamwork & Collaboration - Commitment to Continuous Learning - Client & Result Orientation Managerial Competencies: - Not applicable Cross-Functional Competencies: - Technological Awareness - Analytical Thinking - Planning and Organizing
Eligibility: Interested staff members should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS, UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev.2). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit. In line with the RALS, the below category of candidates are eligible to apply for internally/externally advertised vacancies. Group 1 candidates: Group 1 comprises current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment who, at the date of the deadline for application, are serving in the country of the vacancy at the grade of the position or one grade below or above. However, current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in the country of the vacancy who apply for a position two grades above the personal grade will be considered as Group 2 applicants. Group 2 candidates: Group 2 comprises candidates from the below categories after completion of one cumulative or continuous year of service in the country of the vacancy.
I. Current locally recruited UNHCR staff members holding a temporary appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions; II. Former locally recruited UNHCR staff members who held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment (within 2 years of separation for males and 5 years for females) up to a maximum of two grades above the last position at UNHCR; III. National United Nations Volunteers currently working for UNHCR; IV. National UNOPS and individual contractors currently working for UNHCR; V. Current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a position in the same category two grades above the staff member’s personal grade; VI. Current UNHCR staff members in the International Professional category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post; VII. Current UNHCR staff members in the NPO category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post; VIII. Current locally recruited female staff members from other UN system Organizations holding the equivalent of an indefinite or fixed-term appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions. External candidates: External candidates are candidates who are not in Group 1 or Group 2. They must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position, candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission and please refer to the relevant category / grade level at: http://icsc.un.org
How to apply
Submission of Applications:
- Interested Group 1 and Group 2 applicants need to apply via email by sending their UNHCR Factsheet, completed and signed UNHCR Personnel History Form (PHF) and Motivation letter to VENCAHR@UNHCR.ORG. Please update your personal profiles (factsheet) with all required information before your application.
- Interested external applicants also need to apply via email by sending their completed and signed UNHCR Personnel History Form (PHF) and Motivation letter to VENCAHR@UNHCR.ORG
- All applications must be sent by email to the following email address VENCAHR@UNHCR.ORG and in the email subject line please quote the Vacancy Announcement number / Title of the Position / Your Last Name.
- Not signed, incomplete and late applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
- The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted during the application. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
- UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- UNHCR has a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). SEA is unacceptable behavior and prohibited conduct for UNHCR personnel. It constitutes acts of serious misconduct and is therefore grounds for disciplinary measures, including dismissal. Any concerns or suspicions about a possible case of SEA should be reported immediately to the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the online complain form at https://www.unhcr.org/php/complaints.php or by confidential fax: +41 22 739 73 80.
- UNHCR only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/.
- For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please send an email to the below email address titled “Online VA