In line with the values that guide the actions of our organization around the world, MSF OCBA is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion; for this reason, we will strongly prioritize applications from socially underrepresented groups who meet the requirements.
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND JOB ENVIRONMENT
The Director of Finances is tasked with the mission of protecting the financial assets of Médecins Sans Frontières - Spain and defining, updating and directing its financial policy, in order to guarantee the availability of resources and the appropriate accountability in front of internal and external control bodies and the general public and ensure the most optimal use of the resources for the sake of the best provision of medical and humanitarian aid.
Directly accountable to the General Director, and in close collaboration with the Director of Operations, the Management Team and the Board of Directors, s/he will, with the deputy finance director, be responsible for coordinating and executing the financial planning and reporting, maintaining a fair and true accounting register, treasury management and promoting relevant financial analysis, control and technical support at field and HQ level. Contingent on the strategic lines defined by the Strategic and Executive Plans, s/he is responsible for ensuring the analysis of economic, financial and accounting structures providing strategies to ensure their balance, efficient use of resources and proper accountability.
S/he will implement the political and financial choices endorsed by the Board of Directors.
As part of the Management Team, s/he designs, proposes, participates in and implements decisions and strategic planning adopted by it.
S/he contributes thinking and participates in the decision-making processes relating to the operations, the social mission, the role of the association and the evolution and positioning within the MSF movement and in civil society.
S/he participates in reflecting upon the adjustment of the means needed to implement the operational project and in measuring the financial consequences of operational decisions. S/he is a key stakeholder in establishing the appropriate trajectory, ensuring the optimal allocation of resources for the social mission implementation.
S/he will actively stimulate the relations with other sections and entities within the Movement and OCBA network, mainly, but not only, in financial aspects and its involvement and support to the OCBA planning and budgeting processes. S/he will ensure proper consolidation of the Latam Partner section and the East African Partner section financials as long as the two entities are not legally independent.
As an ex-officio member of the International Finance Directors Platform, s/he will actively participate in the Financial Management and reporting of the Movement, in the reflexions around the main current and future financial stakes of the Movement and more globally, to the overall international financial policy.
S/he manages the financial department organized three different areas, two of them under the Financial Director (accountancy and operational finance) and a third one under the Deputy (Treasury management). The department also counts with 2 transversal resources (data structure and reporting officer, and assistant/technical support, both responding hierarchically to the finance director) and Mobile Implementation Officers.
Together with the heads of the units and the deputy, s/he manages the activity and defines the organization of the department, the objectives to be achieved and HR follow-up and evaluations. Currently the department is made up of 26 people plus volunteers and collaborators.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
1. S/he analysis the structure and evolution of incomes and expenditures at field, HQ and OC and Network level. S/he participates in the elaboration of the resource sharing agreement and defines OCBA’s positions on principles and trajectory.
2. S/he S/he promotes a safe environment and a culture of proximity, diversity, equity and inclusion in line with the agreed objectives. S/he fosters an appropriate internal communication in the department. S/he defines the financial policies, within the framework of OCBA’s Strategic Plan. S/he structures OCBA’s positions for the general direction excom meeting.
3. He validates the multiyear Objectives and Key results for the departments. S/he overviews and validate the finance department Annual plan.
4. S/he supervises and consolidates the Association’s budgeting process and ensures a sound reporting thereof to the Board of Directors / Agora Platform. S/he ensures that the reporting is provided within lean financial architecture allowing quality information for all in real time.
5. S/he validates the Annual Accounts, ensures coherence in the international combined accounts and the yearly financial audit(s), and ensures an optimal relation with the external auditors. He assists the Treasurer of the Association in the drafting of the Treasurer Report and its presentation to the General Assembly.
6. S/he coordinates the heads of units and the deputy director so that they implement their annual planning, follow them up and evaluate them while supporting them in building up their competences and those of their teams. S/he also challenges and approves the use of resources within the Finance department.
7. S/He supervises the reporting and Data Architecture Technical Referent and the finance technical support, ensuring these transversal positions have clear priorities and serve the department at best.
8. S/He is responsible for the department budget global follow-up and arbitrations.
9. S/he participates in the recruitment, training and evaluation of the different members of the department under his direct supervision and upon request for other positions.
10. S/he gets regularly involved in the definition and improvement of financial management and control tools and contributes to the design, elaboration and delivery of financial trainings upon request (PPD, ad hoc trainings, etc.). S/he will visit the field regularly in order to remain close to and supportive of the field reality and operational needs.
11. S/he participates in the follow-up and evolution of the contracts with both institutional and private donors and related accountability.
12. S/he participates in the preparation and approves and of policies to support financial functions and controls at field level.
13. S/he endorses, within the framework defined by the Board of Directors, the Association’s treasury management established by the deputy. S/He chooses the main banking partners and maintains a fluent relation with them. S/he is a signatory to the accounts and organizes and authorizes all payments.
14. S/he oversees the evolution of all tax issues related to the Association and liaises with the different tax consultants accordingly.
15. S/he represents the Operational Centre in MSF international meetings. Within the Financial Directors’ Platforms or Commissions, participate actively in reflection and decision-making with regards to common objectives and international financial policies.
16. S/he boosts partnership with other MSF sections, mainly with those who are members of the Agora and see to its involvement in the annual planning and budgeting processes.
17. S/He ensures the department remains connected with internal evolutions to maintain it aligned with the institution changes, including diversity and climate stakes.
Education and experience:
- Experience of minimum 5 years in finance functions. Experience in a similar position is a plus.
- Desirable experiences a Financial analyst/data analyst.
- Experience in MSF or other NGOs will be an asset.
- Good command of English. French and/or Spanish desirable.
- Experience in team coordination and management.
- IT as a user (Office 365 environment, Power BI and/or analytical tools is a plus).
For this role you are expected to role model OCBA leadership values:
- Promote honest and respectful communication.
- Foster a collaborative working environment.
- Drive towards ambition for maximum impact and effectiveness.
- Excellence in work organization and planning.
- Develop and growing people.
- Managing uncertainty and complexity.
- Encourage exercising leadership to promote a working environment where everyone understands that, regardless of their roles and responsibilities, they have an important contribution to make successful the whole, and to commit to upholding MSF values demonstrating integrity, diplomacy, professionalism, reliability, and resilience.
- Strategic conception of the financial task and management of complex organizations.
- Availability to travel abroad.
- Excellent communication skills, especially active listening, thinking analytically and organizationally, drawing logical conclusions and the ability to build personal rapport and trust.
- The ability to work under pressure and to meet deadline effectively.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles.
- Cross-cultural Awareness.
- Strategic Vision.
- Results and Quality Orientation.
- Service Orientation.
- Initiative and Innovation.
- Capacity to Negotiate.
- Teamwork and Cooperation.
- People Management and Development.
- Security Awareness and Management.
- Position based in any MSF-OCBA Hub (Barcelona, MSF-Spain office delegations, Amman, Dakar or Nairobi), preferably outside Spain. Final location will be subject to the employability of the preselected candidate (residency, work permit, etc.).
- Full-time job.
- Minimum commitment of 3 years.
- Annual gross salary: HQ- 7A (12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits, based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy. Subjected to local conditions.
- Starting date: November 2022.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter: https://careers.msf-applications.org/job-invite/7043/
Closing date: September 4th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.