Position: IsraAID Country Director, Mozambique
Location: Pemba, Cabo Delgado
Contract type: Full-time employment
Starting date: August 2022
Duration: one year contract with possible extension
The Country Director will lead the organization's projects in Mozambique providing oversight to all IsraAID operations in the country, playing a leading role in planning, designing, implementation, development, and administration of all programs, supervision, and capacity development of staff, and ensuring effective and efficient financial management, donor and legal compliance. The ideal candidate will combine experience in humanitarian aid and management/administration and have a passion for working with Mozambique's population.
IsraAID is a non-profit, non-governmental and apolitical humanitarian aid agency dedicated to supporting populations in crisis around the world, Founded in 2001.
As of 2021, the organization has responded to crises in 50+ countries and has operations span across 17 countries and many different sectors of expertise from both the humanitarian aid and international development arenas.
IsraAID started its development activities in Mozambique in 2019 with emergency support to the cyclone Idai affected people, and in the long run, IsraAID kept activities in Sofala and Inhambane through a partnership between the Ministry of Education in Sofala Province and GIZ, to address the mental health needs of populations recovering from disaster, and to strengthen emotional resilience and mental health literacy in the education system.
IsraAID has outstanding work in the country in the area of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, and more recently has been implementing activities in Protection and WASH sectors.
Currently israAID is based in Beira – Sofala, and is also developing projects for Cabo Delgado.
Mozambique Office Vision and Strategy
· Provide leadership in the development and implementation of IsraAID's programming in line with the Country’s strategic plan
· Provide on-going support, monitoring, and evaluation of IsraAID in-country programs, coordinate program reviews, evaluations, and follow up on the implementation of evaluation findings.
· Coordinate the production of timely quality program reports in line with IsraAID's established policy.
· Identify, reach out and create collaboration with partners in line with the Country Office vision as academies, international platforms,
· Oversee the dissemination of IsraAID's mission and core values and principles at the national level and lead, coordinate and mentor the Country Office program and its staff according to IsraAid's strategy and philosophy.
· Stay up to date on socio-economic and political changes related to the IsraAid mandate and undertake a timely strategic review of the IsraAID program's strategy to respond to a rapidly changing environment.
Human Resource Management and Staff Development
· Maintain effective and appropriate staff recruitment, orientation, appraisal, remuneration, and development practice at all levels to ensure the optimum utilization and development of IsraAID's human resources.
· Provide coaching and mentoring advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
Funding and Grants Management
· Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in the country and promote collaboration and funding.
· Spearhead a funding strategy that maximizes and increases the external funding base, staying up to date on donor trends, and ensures adherence to funding and donor requirements.
· Oversee the production of quality proposals and respond to call for proposals.
· Facilitate and coordinate donor visits, donor meetings, discussions, and evaluations as necessary.
· Promote and encourage a culture of compliance throughout IsraAID. Maintains a clear understanding of donor compliance and adheres to those standards.
Financial and Administrative Management
· Ensure that all financial and administrative procedures are by IsraAID's established policies and maintain the organization's financial and legal integrity.
· Prepare and implement and review the annual budget.
· Provide progress and financial reports as required by the government and IsraAID HQ and accountability procedures as required by other organizations.
· Ensure the preparation, accuracy, and timely submission of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements.
· Check and/or verify all inventories and promote efficient and effective management of organizational assets.
Security and Risk Management
· Be fully accountable for security and risk management, keeping abreast of all relevant developments in country, and maintain regular communication with national and international security institutions.
· Develop and maintain appropriate security plans and contingency plans when needed.
· Ensure staff is continuously engaged and aligned with IsraAID's global vision, mission, values, strategic direction, and business plan.
· Actively contribute to IsraAID's reputation and role as a national, international, and regional organization.
· Maintain regular communication with the IsraAID in the Mozambique board, IsraAID-Israel HQ, and other IsraAID branches, as appropriate.
· Promote IsraAID's organizational identity, culture, and capacity to all stakeholders and partners and ensure IsraAID remains relevant to Mozambique's changing humanitarian and development needs.
Compliance & Ethics
· Understanding of and commitment to the following principles: cultural sensitivity, local ownership, sustainability, inclusiveness, local partnership, non-discriminatory, do-no-harm, and apolitical approach; codes of conduct against sexual exploitation and abuse; and against child exploitation and modern slavery.
· Commitment to abide by IsraAID's and UN's codes of conduct and principles.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND COMPETENCIES
· M.A. level of academic background in international development, social sciences, or other relevant fields
· Minimum of 5 years experience of working in humanitarian or development settings
· Knowledge and experience of emergency context, especially protection response in emergency settings, strong familiarity with the IASC guidelines for interventions in humanitarian settings;
· An excellent understanding of and practical experience with program design, program management cycle, M&E, and Ethics in Programming;
· Substantial experience in the financial management of significant budgets
· Significant experience with institutional donors, including UN donors, familiarity with international coordination structures;
· Proven expertise in leading in fundraising, seeking and securing new grants, successful project proposal writing, management of grants
· Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing complex and multinational teams.
· Demonstrated organizational skills; Able to consistently meet tight deadlines;
· Fluent in English and Portuguese
· Working experience in Mozambique recommended
Based in Mozambique – Pemba, Cabo Delgado
Paid full-time position on a one year contract
We regret to inform you that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
CVs longer than 2 pages, and not in English will not be considered.