As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
The American Red Cross seeks a dynamic self-starter to support the International Services Department. Based at its headquarters in Washington, DC, the Senior Movement Relations Advisor will work closely with American Red Cross International Services colleagues and counterparts across the international humanitarian community to raise awareness and promote the organization’s international initiatives throughout the Red Cross and Red Crescent network. The Senior Movement Relations Advisor will report to the Executive Director of Partnerships and Movement Relations for International Services and Services to Armed Forces. This role will be focused on building strong relationships and pushing for the priorities of the American Red Cross throughout the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement.
- Advocate for effective Movement governance and represent American Red Cross interests via management engagement with IFRC and ICRC
- Develop the rules and tools for movement relations including movement relationship management, key message and American Red Cross representation
- Develop and identify opportunities for American Red Cross international staff to promote their programs and expertise within the Movement.
- Collaborate within the International Services Department and across American Red Cross departments, particularly Communications, Government Relations, and Marketing to maximize messaging impact and to promote American Red Cross coherence within the Movement
- Develop resources on international humanitarian issues and the global Red Cross/Red Crescent network to support American Red Cross.
- Lead the American Red Cross planning efforts for the Statutory Meetings for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Lead in the formulation of strategy and implementation thereof for Movement reform and stronger Movement governance
- Work with program and communications staff to develop Movement policy outcome priorities and implement strategies to achieve them using a wide range of tactics
- Support the Services to Armed Forces Leadership Council with meeting support, stewardship and follow up (may move to Program Associate if approved)
- Min. 5 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations or public policy is required; a master’s degree in a related field is desired.
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills and the ability to perform in stressful situations with tight deadlines are essential.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian issues and key actors is essential; knowledge of the American Red Cross and the global Red Cross network is beneficial.
- Proficiency in Spanish or French is highly desired.
- Up to 25% international travel may be required.