In an effort to support newly arrived refugees and immigrants in starting their lives successfully in the U.S., the Adult Education Program in the Education and Learning Department provides free ESL classes to adult clients. Classes offered focus on English for everyday life as well as job readiness skills through ESL. The teacher will be responsible for teaching four ESL classes; Introduction to English, Beginner, and High Beginner. This instructor will work under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act Title II (WIOA) grant.
Hours: 37.5 per week.
Sample Class Schedule (subject to change):
· Introduction to English in person class: 2:00 pm-5:00 pm M-Th
· 6 Cycles of 4 weeks (48 hours per cycle)
· Beginner Zoom Class: 6:00 pm-9:00 pm M & W
· 2 Cycles of 24 weeks (144 hours per cycle)
· High Beginner Zoom Class: 6:00-9:00 pm T & Th
· 2 Cycles of 24 weeks (144 per cycle)
· Prepare for and teach ESL classes for immigrants, newly arrived refugees, and asylee clients**,** using interactive, learner-centered activities and ESL strategies
· Document attendance and student progress
· Process referrals and conduct participant outreach
· Attend weekly check-ins with the Adult Education Coordinator and team meetings to discuss individual client progress and the best way to provide support as necessary
· Supervise ESL Assistant Interns
· Test student’s English language skills using Best Plus
· Complete other tasks as needed to support the Education and Learning Department
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and TESOL certificate preferred
· 3+ years of experience teaching ESL to adults from culturally diverse backgrounds using culturally responsive strategies
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
· Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite
· Experience with Best Plus preferred
· Fluency in English language required. Second language proficiency in relevant language highly desirable (including Arabic, Farsi, Dari, Pashto, Spanish, Russian and French)
*Working Environment:***Classes will take place online via Zoom and in the IRC office.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: