Scope of Work:
In August 2022, the IRC in New Jersey will host a three-week summer program focusing on English as a Second Language (ESL) enrichment for refugee youth living in Hudson and Union County, NJ. The Refugee Youth Summer Academy (RYSA) will serve up to 130 students ages 5 – 20, in eight classes, from at least 10 countries will participate in academic, creative arts, and recreational activities. Field trips will be held once per week.
The RYSA Teacher Assistant responsibilities are two-fold. The Teacher Assistant will work closely with the ESL Lead Teachers, clinical psychology doctoral students and Peer Mentors to reinforce English language learning and school preparation with refugee youth in a positive and healing classroom environment. Under the guidance of the Education Specialist, the Teacher Assistant will also implement key aspects of the RYSA M&E plan monitoring and evaluation tools, including data collection, analysis, and presentation. The Teacher Assistant’s findings will contribute to the RYSA 2022 Report.
· Complete all staff training prior to the start of the program, as well as all program meetings and staff development activities thereafter
· Model appropriate student behavior and academic engagement with the Academy students at all times
· Assist teachers and staff with various classroom activities and lessons on a daily basis
· Tutor students individually or in small groups at the direction of the teacher
· Assist in supervision of daily student meals and student arrival/dismissal
· Assist teachers and staff with whole school community building activities and field trips
· Act as a positive role model for students
· Assist teachers and staff with classroom management
· Prepare M&E tools for implementation
· Implement M&E activities, including data entry
· Manage and analyze program generated data
· Write up results of monitoring and evaluation activities
· Other related duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Education, International Affairs, Public Policy, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
· Experience and/or coursework in monitoring & evaluation research methods, and quantitative and qualitative analysis
· Experience working with refugee or immigrant students and families, excellent rapport with youth and adults of diverse backgrounds
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required
· Fluency in written and spoken English required. Second language proficiency in relevant language highly desirable (including Spanish, Pashto, Dari, Farsi, Arabic)
· Fluent in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and Word
· Monday-Friday, the program will be held on-site at Kean University in Union, NJ
· Necessary travel to field trips on Fridays
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: