Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. Our goal is to transform the life of every person impacted by a cleft lip or palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free, life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
Smile Train is looking for exceptional people to join a world-wide team of dedicated, passionate, professionals. Our team are creative and highly motivated individuals working to make a positive impact. Come join us!
We are looking for Director, Safety & Quality to lead Smile Train’s efforts to enhance the safety and quality of care provided to cleft patients around the world. This will include oversight of Smile Train’s Safety and Quality (S&Q) processes, coordination with regional safety and quality managers and serving as the board liaison for the Medical Advisory Board (MAB). They will convene a safety and quality sub-committee constituting of expert-level advisors from the MAB and MACs. The Director, Safety & Quality will develop strategies around safety and quality, ensure continuity of Smile Train policies, maintain relationships with key stakeholders, and drive partner understanding of and compliance with Smile Train’s required standards of care.
The Director will report to the Senior Vice President, Global Medical Programs. This is a full-time hybrid role based at either our headquarters in New York City, Washington DC or Houston, starting as soon as possible.
The COVID-19 vaccine is required for all US-based employees, except in the case of approved medical or religious exemption.
- In partnership with the Senior Vice President, Global Medical Programs, set strategic goals and workplan for Smile Train’s Safety and Quality (S&Q) programs
- Serve as the main point of contact/board liaison for the Medical Advisory Board and facilitate regular communication with the MAB as well as Regional Medical Advisory Councils
- Work with President and CEO, Medical Advisory Board Chairman, and senior team leadership on high-level Medical Advisory Board meeting strategy
- Design, organize, and lead quarterly Medical Advisory Board Meetings
- Oversee Medical Advisory Board and Medical Advisory Councils growth and development
- Oversee implementation and continuous improvement of Smile Train’s Safety and Quality Processes as well as involvement of the Medical Advisory Board and Councils in these processes
- Lead the development, implementation of and organizational support for new advisories, policies, guidelines and resources
- Cultivate, establish and maintain strategic partnerships in the Safety and Quality space
- In collaboration with Regional Directors, oversee and scale pilot programs and exploratory projects within the Safety and Quality mandate
- Develop and implement Programs’ Safety and Quality onboarding for new hires, both in the US and the field; run trainings for staff and partners and virtually connect with field staff directly on a quarterly basis
- In conjunction with Senior Director, Education and Training, as well as Regional Directors, develop regional training sites as part of Quality Assurance process
- In conjunction with Senior Director, Education and Training, develop training materials to address Safety and Quality gaps
- Collaborate with Safety and Quality Managers in the field for implementation of policies, safety audits and training
- In collaboration with VP, Research and Innovation, facilitate research based on Safety and Quality data
- Manage, mentor, and lead a team of two direct reports and several dotted lines
Our ideal candidate has/is
Bachelor’s Degree medicine, nursing or healthcare quality and safety; an advanced degree in anesthesia, public health, global health or program management will be an asset
7+ years relevant experience
Experience in implementing safety and quality programs at a global level
Experience with medical quality assurance and certification processes
Experience with medical auditing
Strong writing, monitoring and evaluation skills
Excellent project management, time management and prioritization skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects at any given time in a fast-paced environment.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with both management and direct reports
Seasoned people manager – able to motivate, inspire and coach a team; experience with remote management is a plus
Outgoing and engaging personality
Team player and leads by example
How to apply
Smile Train believes that a workforce made up of people from diverse social, racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds results in a dynamic workplace and enhances the important work that we do. We are committed providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, marital/familial status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, sexual and reproductive health decisions, military status, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
To be considered, please submit a resume and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.