Desired start date: June 2022 Duration of the mission: 6 months Location: Malakal, South Sudan
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director for a region of a country in which SI intervenes. As such:
- He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
- He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with SI charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security and safety in his/her assigned zone.
- He/she is the Country Director's direct contact and representative
- The Field Co will be responsible for multiple programs – WASH and FSL, both as part of emergency response and longer term programming.
- The Field Co Upper Nile will supervise project managers, log / fin / HR responsible.
- The current donors are CDCS and EU, and the budget is estimated at approx.. EUR 1-2 million.
- Coordination and strategic orientation
- Relevance and operational quality / operation monitoring
- Resource management
- Team and people management
- Security management
- Financial backer relations / search for funding
- Internal and external communication
- External representation
- Contributing and implementation of SI’s overall strategy at the area level
- Ensure quality implementation of programs (projects to be on time, on scope, on budget and meeting SI’s and international quality standards)
- Representation and coordination with other stakeholders, strong engagement with regional donors and partners and representation of SI in all relevant coordination meetings and other meetings as assigned by CD.
- Management of both support (log, admin) and program team, ensuring performance management and capacity development support to direct and in-direct staff under the field coordinator’s portfolio.
- Contribute to new innovative project ideas and support in proposal conceptualization and development.
- Responsible for ensuring sound financial management and financial and compliance control at Area level.
- Overall responsibility for managing security as main security focal point for the region under his/her coverage
- Works closely with program coordinator, logistics coordinator, grant manager and security officer/manager.
Specific stakes and challenges
- High level of security / challenging living conditions – within humanitarian hub with modest access to services
- The work requires adaptability, ability to work and perform under pressure and in stressful environment.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Project set-up for newly starting project(s)
- Security management/ ensure familiarity with context/security regulations. Review, develop and adapt security SoPs and protocols.
- Monitor and analyse financial donor strategies in Upper Nile
University degree in development / humanitarian studies.
Experience as an international staff mandatory
Experience in and excellent understanding of the humanitarian sector
Experience in both programs and support management
Experience in proposal development
Experience in emergency and / or protracted crisis context
Experience in insecure and complex access environment
Knowledge of FSL and/or WASH programs
Proven experience as an organized team and people manager
Experience with SI is an asset.
Experience in remote management is an asset.
Previous experience in South Sudan is an asset.TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
Capacity to provide clear and well documented strategies
Excellent networking capacities, including with key national and international stakeholders
Very good analytical, critical, and synthesis skills
Great communication and diplomatic skills
Management of a multi-technical and multi-ethnic team.
Capacity-building and training, coaching abilities and experience
Collect, manage and filter extensive amounts of information in real time
Organization, focus on objectives and ability to meet deadlines
Proactive, solution oriented approach to work
Capacity and willingness to provide hands-on support to the team
Excellent team player
- Pack MS Office – excellent mastery of Excel included
- Bilingual in English.
- Arabic is an asset.
- Independent worker
- Willingness to evolve in very fast paced environments and insecure environments
- Excellent stress management, and important flexibility; capacity to adapt to quick context/strategy changes
To apply, you need to be OK to work in a volatile, complex political and security environment
SI WILL OFFER YOUA salaried position
According to experience, starting from EUR 2 860 gross per month (base salary EUR 2600 + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) + a monthly Per Diem of USD 700.
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
The Field Coordinator will live in a shared guesthouse (private bedroom).
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every 3 months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with USD 850 allocated by SI). In addition to these, SI adds 1 additional rest day per month of work, i.e. 12 additional days off for a one-year contract.
Insurance package Expatriates benefit from an insurance package, which covers all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system, including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Malakal, though far from Juba, is the capital of Upper Nile state, and concentrates many activities.
There is a curfew at base and at field location, living within a secure compound with limited movement outside aside from projects sites/field visits.
Overall, current situation in Malakal and upper Nile is stable, situation however remains tense and requires agility at all times.
Safety and security rules are regularly reviewed and adapted to the situation, to minimize the exposure to the COVID 19, in constant monitoring and adaptation to the context evolution.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field.
How to apply
Please send us your CV and cover letter in English through this link : https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=71749
If you have already been technically validated by SI on the position, please mention it.
NB: the vacancy may close before the deadline.
To learn more about SI, please visit our website.