TERMS AND CONDITIONS
JOB TITLE: Partnership Officer (Thematic Funding and External Partnership)
TYPE & LEVEL OF CONTRACT: International Consultant Level II
UNIT/DIVISION: Partnership, Regional Bureau Cairo (RBC)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Cairo, Egypt
REPORT TO: Head of Partnership Unit
DURATION: 11 months
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP’s Regional Bureau for the Middle East and Northern Africa (RBC), based in Cairo, Egypt, provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in 15 countries: Algeria, Armenia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, State of Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Yemen and Ukraine. These country offices aim to assist roughly one-third of all of WFP’s beneficiaries (approx. 30 million) in some of the most critical humanitarian emergencies of our time. RBC is also active in the ‘Changing Lives’ side of WFP’s mandate, helping national governments and local communities improve nutrition, livelihoods, school feeding, social protection, climate and disaster risk reduction and other programmes that build resilience and support development.
WHY WORK AT WFP?
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES Make a difference the world will notice. We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY Build bridges that unite people across the world. Being part of a global, diverse and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives. How we deliver our mission in deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find. WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential. WFP offers the kind of life-changing experiences you’re unlikely find in many other organizations.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
This position sits in the Partnerships Unit under the supervision of the Head of the External Partnerships Team and the Regional Head of Partnerships. In close collaboration with the Head of Communications and Head of Programme Unit, this position will work with RBC country offices, RBC senior managers and functional units and liaise with appropriate counterparts at HQ. The key deliverables are:
Support the preparation of advocacy messaging for targeted external audiences – including talking points and speeches for the Regional Director (RD) advocacy engagements.
Take forward the Partnerships thematic fundraising stream to increase funding for the 5 Strategic Priorities defined by RBC Country Directors: i) Delivering in Emergencies, ii) Supporting effective national social protection systems, iii) Enhancing Refugee Self-Reliance, iv) Climate and Water, and v) Youth Engagement.
Contribute to WFP’s external engagement with regional UN agencies, the League of Arab States (LAS), the Organisation for Islamic Cooperation (OIC), including WFP’s engagement on UN Reform.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Work with Regional Bureau colleagues and WFP Country Offices across MENA region to drive fundraising and partnerships efforts for RBC.
- Draft the RD’s inputs for the Executive Board and other external speaking engagements, including regional platforms and organizations, sister UN agencies and other non-Government-related partnerships.
- In close collaboration with WFP HQ Thematic Funding team, support COs to unlock funds for WFP’s thematic funding, including EU bodies and funds (ie: NDICI-Global Europe, DG NEAR), country-based funds, UN Pooled funds, global climate and conflict funds and other sources as appropriate. Liaise with Programme colleagues to ensure WFP’s effective engagement with IFIs.
- Contribute to build programmatic partnerships with UN Agencies (and coordination bodies), regional organizations, National Governments, NGOs and civil society. Support Regional Bureau (RB) Senior Management representation – and when required represent WFP - to UN and other multilateral bodies, NGOs, Member States and provide them with information on WFP’s work to increase WFP’s profile. This may include preparation of briefs and Talking Points, and creation or dissemination of NFRs. This may also include identifying key actions relevant for WFP and either inform or work with stakeholder to achieve them.
- Support RB senior management and Country Offices in fulfilling deliverables under the current UN Reform mandate, including (i) supporting COs in aligning their Country Strategic Plans with programmatic requirements of UN Reform, (ii) inter-agency coordination and knowledge management, (iii) leveraging UN Reform as an opportunity to enhance external partnerships, (iv) supporting the roll-out of Business Operations Strategy. Manage the Secretariat support to this workstream.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other tasks as required and assigned by the supervisor.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced university degree in Political Science, International Development, Development Economics, Journalism, International Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least six years of work experience in the areas of external relations, partnerships, resource mobilization, communications, and/or public information. Out of six years, at least four years of direct experience on developing a long-term partnership with development donors, member states, host government, international organizations and UN Agencies, with focus on mobilizing resources and fundraising, ideally including proposal and report writing.
- UN or donor experience is an asset, particularly in the MENA region.
Knowledge & Skills:
- A sound understanding of multilateralism, the workings of the UN system and UN Reform processes and the ability to distil operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for all stakeholders / partners at the country and regional level the RB, Country Offices and partners; Strong capacity for analysis, learning, research and innovation;
- Capacity to foster strong cross-agency collaboration
- Good leadership and strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to form new partnerships and strengthen existing ones
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill
- Excellent computer skill with Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Languages: Fluency (proficiency/Level C) in written and spoken English language is required. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of second official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (a WFP working language)), especially Arabic would be a plus.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Monday, 16 May 2022 (Midnight Egypt time)
How to apply
Click the link below to view the assignment detail and start the application process.
Candidate are requested to create an account in WFP E-Recruitment system before applying.
Please also include your CV with a cover letter, highlighting your motivation and suitability for this vacancy, as part of an online application.
Please visit Egypt | World Food Programme (wfp.org) to learn more about WFP’s operations in Egypt.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.*