As a member of the West & Central Africa Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children's international development and emergency programming in the region of a portfolio of $248 million (2021) through an organisation of over 2,500 people. To achieve our ambitious goals and breakthroughs for children, the leadership team will, in collaboration with Save the Children Members and in conjunction with the other regional organisations, aim to drive growth of the donor landscape to $3 billion in the coming years.
The Country Director will lead the transformation of the country office to a new operating model, whilst also delivering Save the Children's strategy within the country through:
- Delivering quality programmes, including advocacy, for children; and
- Serving Members and their donors
Save the Children has been actively working in Nigeria since 2000. We have 13 offices and sub offices in 9 States (Lagos, Cross River, Borno, Gombe, Yobe, Gombe, Jigawa, Zamfara, Kaduna, Katsina and Abuja) and presence through partners in a further 4 States (Kebbi, Sokoto, Bauchi, Kano).
Our program is implemented in various sectors including Food Security & Livelihoods, Nutrition, Education, and Protection, WASH with some Health programming also. With a full-spectrum approach to programming, we engage in both Humanitarian and longer term development work. The Nigeria Country Office employs over 550 staff and has an annual operating budget of approximately $66 million this year most of which is focused on the humanitarian response in the North East involving cash/evouchers We work directly with families and communities, foster the participation of children and partner with local organizations, UN bodies, International NGOs and the Nigerian government to deliver results for children.
Qualifications and experience
- Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant field
- Experienced leader who has held senior positions in complex/high profile/ multinational organisations
- Experience of working with large, complex donors (USAID, EU, DFID etc.) to secure and/or manage new large-scale and/or competitive funding
- Understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development
- Demonstrable ability to recruit, lead and develop high calibre specialist senior staff with a range of backgrounds and expertise
- Strong track record in building high performance teams and future successors/leaders
- Ability to manage and motivate self and others to respond to a significant and complex crisis situation in extraordinary circumstances, requiring swift action and rapid changes in priorities
- Innovative approach to solving a range of highly complex issues and galvanising buy-in to the solutions at all levels
- Experience and knowledge of context and actors in WCA region.
- Fluency and speaking and writing in both French and English
- Commitment to the Save the Children vision, principles, mission and values
- Experience on humanitarian programs and ability to work in a volatile environment preferred.
Contract Length: Open ended
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YnNlY2suODcyMDMuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuYW8uYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t