Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POST
To provide 1st and 2nd line (remote and/or in person) technical support to MSF missions on Water Supply, Hygiene, Sanitation and Vector Control (WHS and VC) and to contribute to capacity building of field staff through the application and transfer of technical know-how according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to enable the development of the missions in perfect working conditions and optimize the impact of the MSF projects.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
In collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator, and under the supervision of the Watsan technical referent, work with mission staff to promote relevant technical awareness and to improve technical delivery in Water Supply, Hygiene, Sanitation and Vector Control, providing support and advice in accordance within the Terms of Reference agreed with the mission, normally comprising the following responsibilities:
- Follow up the Watsan activities in her/his portfolio countries. Ensuring there is understanding and alignment of the Watsan interventions with MSF priorities and standards.
- Carrying out field visits to the portfolio countries as needed or requested by the field teams.
- Helping to revise the Watsan strategy of the mission according the current and future operations and provide advice when pertinent.
- Carrying out a functional evaluation of the Watsan set-up, assessing the applicable technical installations, systems, structures, equipment and HR set-up, the compliance with procedures, policies and guidelines, within the framework of MSF standards in order to identify the main areas for improvement.
- Assessing and validating local suppliers and local (sub-) contractors for quality of materials, systems, installations, parts, etc. to ensure compliance with MSF quality standards.
- Developing and initiating the implementation of the improvement plan based on the recommendations arising from the functional evaluation.
- Assisting the logistics team with the design and installation of new (complex) systems and/or with the implementation of (new) protocols, tools etc.
- Monitoring and supervising established and on-going work, systems and installations in the field of expertise and provide technical advice and solutions when necessary.
- Assisting the logistics team in their HR tasks such as recruitment & selection of technical staff, briefing and debriefing of focal persons and logisticians.
- Identifying training needs and contributing to the definition of training content for WHS and VC. Facilitating team training and provide on-the-job training on technical basics related to area of specialisation according to MSF standards to enable effective implementation of relevant methodologies, systems and tools and ensure best practice is delivered.
- Upon request of the Head of LogOps and in coordination with the Watsan technical referents develop new policies, tools, protocols and SOPs related to his/her area of expertise (with a local, regional or even global approach).
Contributing to the continuous learning and development of the department by:
- Drafting reports and action plans following field visits to capture experiences and “lessons learnt”.
- Contributing to the research and development of field tools, practices, guidelines and policies based on insights gained in the job.
- Proposing and testing/piloting innovative solutions to overcome recurrent problems and technical challenges
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of practices and approaches within the area of expertise, and to share this knowledge with others to enhance operational effectiveness.
Providing direct field intervention:
- Upon request, participate in emergency operations or trainings
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES, TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Field Support: regular support on field evaluation of needs, assessments, definition of strategies and field policies, and the implementation or launching of key activities to achieve the quality standards both in Health Structures and within Communities. S/he will potentially have a portfolio of countries to follow throughout the year.
Training: will also conduct trainings on relevant topics to the staff of the mission, and will participate in the review, design and presenting of MSF training modules, and / or coaching of other human resources in the field.
Others: will support the Watsan Team in projects/activities to be defined which amongst other could include temporarily doing the backup of the Watsan technical referent. S/he could be representing MSF Watsan position in forums and meetings.
Close coordination and communication with other departments, to ensure a homogenous approach to responding to the emergency.
Education and experience
- Degree in a relevant technical area like civil engineer, environmental sciences, environmental
- health / public health engineer or similar technical education related to the job profile
- At least two years of NGO Watsan experience in the field
- MSF field experience as a Watsan is a plus
- Experience providing training to adult learners
- Fluent written and spoken English. Swahili and Arabic are an asset.
- Capacity to understand and analyse the links between morbidities and Watsan conditions. Experience in specific Watsan related outbreaks.
- Experience leading, coaching or working with teams in some remote, or security tight context to achieve desired results
- Good understanding of computers and new technologies
- Excellent oral and written communication to motivate and influence the teams
- Commitment to humanitarian and MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Planning and Organising
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Training Skills
- Home based, with frequent field visits (50% of the time)
- Full time job
- Temporary position
- Annual Gross salary: L5 (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: end February
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, please follow the link below and submit your CV and cover letter
- Closing date: February 6th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)