Fondazione L’Albero della Vita – The Tree of Life Kenya is an organization registered in Kenya as a Trust with the aim of ensuring the wellbeing, protection and promotion of the rights of children and their families and encouraging community development.
The Tree of Life envisions a world without poverty where children can enjoy their rights; grow up in a safe environment, protected from all kinds of violence and abuse, with access to equal opportunities.
The Tree of Life has been working in Kenya since 2011, focusing on Children’s rights and protection.
In Nairobi County, the Tree of Life has been implementing activities to strengthen Alternative family based-care options for vulnerable children with specific focus on reintegrating them back to their families of origin, kinship and foster care.
The Tree of Life is implementing a project in the Counties of Nairobi and Kiambu, aimed at contributing to the protection of vulnerable children through the promotion and provision of Alternative Family based care services. The project is being implemented in partnership with Caritas Nairobi in line with the care reforms promoted by the Government.
The objective of the project is to Promote and implement Foster & Kinship Care as a value of solidarity to enhance parenting experiences and provide a protective option for the most vulnerable children in the counties of Nairobi and Kiambu.
Job Title:** Social Worker – Nairobi and Kiambu
Supervisor: Alternative Family care and Child Protection Manager
Duty station:** Counties of Nairobi & Kiambu
Starting date:** 14th February 2022
Duration of the assignment:** 12 months, with 3 months’ probation
Deadline for application: 28th January 2022
Role and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate and implement the Child Protection – Social support component of the project, in accordance with project objectives.
· Develop and implement an effective Social support strategy for the project, including proactive planning for the sustainability of children within families and communities.
· Develop an annual detailed work plan for the project component for which he or she is responsible and review this plan each month with support from the supervisor. Implement social activities according to the work plan in line with project requirements, as well as proposing any necessary changes relative to alternative family based care of children.
· Development of a social training plan on relevant thematic areas and delivery of the training sessions to project partners, foster parents and other stakeholders.
· Provide capacity building to the staff of the target CCIs involved in the project and other actors.
· Facilitate the linkage to and provision of social support services to children, families and community members involved in the sustainability of alternative family based care.
· Provision of support to the members of staff within CCIs in identifying, preparing and accompanying children to be considered for family-based care through a case management process.
- Conduct needs assessments and case studies of beneficiaries in the project.
- Maintain and update beneficiary personal files and database.
· Organization and facilitation of family tracing, home and school visits.
- Liaise with the supervisor on plans affecting beneficiary placement, reintegration and family based interventions.
· Support to the organization of awareness campaigns on AFC options especially Foster and Kinship care, the Rights of the Child, family strengthening and community solidarity
· Participation to relevant sectorial coordination/ACC meetings in Nairobi and Kiambu counties, visibility activities; networking with key stakeholders of the sector in the area, supporting the creation of linkages and partnerships with government and private entities.
· Compile narrative and quantitative reports, in line with project guidelines and requirements.
· Support the development of M&E tools aimed at monitoring and evaluating the project as well as assessing its impact.
· Support the development and implementation of mechanisms of sustainability of AFC services, with main focus on Foster and Kinship Care.
· Properly document the achievements and lessons of the project activities and support the dissemination to partners and stakeholders.
· Collect receipts, administrative documents with the support of the Tree of Life Finance office, ensuring that all expenses are properly documented and done according to the available budget.
· Work as a team player providing relevant information and assistance to colleagues and ensuring project components for which she or he is responsible are interlinked.
· Support the scaling up and the expansion of the project, providing relevant input, contributing to feasibility studies, data collection and new project proposals development.
· Any other duty as required by the supervisor commensurate with the post and relevant to the achievement of Project objectives.
Knowledge and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology/ Social work or any other relevant field of study with specialization in social work.
· Knowledge and experience of basic counselling skills.
· Knowledge and experience on Care Reform, Alternative Family Care are an asset.
Strong ability to work with partners using effective interpersonal and communication skills and to respectfully interact with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Strong analytical skills, report writing, administration, monitoring and evaluation.
Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills.
Solid organizational and project management skills as well as proactive, resourceful and results-oriented.
· Computer skills (Microsoft office word, excel, etc.)
· Data handling skill.
· Excellent spoken and written English and Swahili languages
Other Skills Required
· Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn - open to learning new ways of doing things.
· Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, participatory approach and sustainable development.
· A minimum of 3 years in the social work field and preferably in the NGOs sector.
· Ability and willingness to implement project activities.
· Actual grassroots experience, working with children, families and communities.
· Good numerical, report writing and documentation skills.
· Experience in the monitoring and evaluation of social work programmes.
Employees must sign a child Safeguarding Policy and a confidentiality agreement, and may not share organizational materials without the express written permission from a supervisor; and
Respect – the Tree of Life aims to always show respect and appreciation for team members, Partners and all.
Working hours will be agreed upon. However, flexibility will be required to suit the project’s needs.
How to apply
The application should include the following:
· Cover letter (stating current salary and expected salary, and how your profile fits the position and the skills required).
· CV having 3 references with contacts.
The soft copy application should be sent to: email@example.com
with the subject heading indicating: Social Worker – Nairobi and Kiambu
Deadline for application is 28th of January 2022.
Do not attach in this phase ID documents, school or university certificates, or any other document that has not been requested.
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered. Only short-listed candidate (s) will be contacted.
The Tree of Life is an equal opportunity employer, and respects all gender, nationality or religious affiliations.