Open to Internal & External Candidates
Operations Assistant, Data Processing, Multiple positions
Classification, Position Grade
General Staff, Grade G5
Duty Station **
Type of Appointment
One Year Fixed Term contract with possibility of extension**
Date of Issue
12 January 2022
26 January 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Context and Scope
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations Units in various IOM Country Offices, coordinated under the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters (HQ), are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations MENA, Operations Manager, National Associate Movement Operations Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Operations Assistant – Data Processing, the Operations Assistant (Data Processing) is responsible for undertaking data processing activities, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Record demographic and biographic information in MiMOSA upon receipt of the request for travel while confirming receipt to third parties, such as an embassy or Resettlement Support Center (RSC). Notify the Sr. Operations Assistant – Data Processing of the receipt of new requests for travel assistance.
Secure, and account for travel documents in accordance with the local Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Ensure secure storage of documentation and data in accordance with IOM principles and guidelines while guaranteeing limited access to physical files.
Process exit permits in close coordination with supervisors and other IOM colleagues and relevant authorities.
Ensure the issuance and timely dispatch of travel documents with Operations colleagues, from booking notifications to logistical assistance with exit processes closely coordinated.
Prepare all travel-ready documentation for transfer to Field Support colleagues in collaboration and coordination with supervisors while ensuring the travel bag has all necessary documentation to depart the country.
Prepare reports as requested on the receipt of documentation to time of service delivery; inform supervisors on possible issues which need attention and suggest corrective actions. Report any problems encountered like denials of exit permits, reasons for such denials and possible solutions.
Assist in preparing regular data mining reports in order to ensure that MiMOSA is up-to-date, accurate and maintains the integrity of relevant Movement Operations projects.
Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Sr. Operations Assistant – Data Processing and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA.).
Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert Sr. Operations Assistant – Data Processing or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience
- University degree from an accredited academic institution with minimum Three years (3) of relevant professional experience; OR
Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution with minimum Five (5) years of relevant professional experience.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage.
- Strong computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet
- Past experience with Movement Operations-related databases and systems (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus) is a strong advantage.
Fluency in English and Arabic oral & written is required; Working knowledge of French or any other language is an advantage.**
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances
How to apply
Interested external candidates are invited to submit their applications plus a cover letter via Akhtaboot website, by 26 Jan 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement and Akhtaboot VN # 149149
Interested Internal candidates need to submit their application plus a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 26 Jan 2022**,** their updated IOM Personal History (PH) Form or E-recruit Internal Candidate profile generated from PRISM Portal indicating the vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the vacancy notice he/she applied for in the email Subject line. Any application without this information in the subject line will be excluded from the applications.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the Akhtaboot website: https://www.akhtaboot.com.
From 12 Jan 2022 – 26 Jan 2022